We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuching Trip Report July 2012

In cooperation with: Sarawak Tourism Board
singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Kuching Trip Report July 2012

Finally went to Kuching after much deliberation if it is worth visiting. . It was a short trip (4D3N).

Arrived in Kuching and brought the taxi coupon (RM26) to get to the city. I think the price is standard as the taxi from City to Airport costed RM26 as well.

Accommodation

Stayed in Brookes Terrace after reading the review. The staff was friendly and helpful. However, during our 3 nights stay, there was no cleaning services at all and no drinking water was provided in the room as stated in their website. Also, there was sewage smell coming from the bathroom. Overall, the stay was ok and no extra charges for late check out (which is the reason I booked there). Try to book the room with real window if you are staying there.

Food

Chong Chong Sarawak Laksa (very near to Brookes Terrace) was ok only. Prefer the one in Jln Padungan (RM4) as recommended by one of the local.

Top Spot.

Tried Bukit Mata and Ling Long. Prefer the cooking in Ling Long however the belachan in Bukit Mata tasted better. Also, the price was cheaper in Bukit Mata. The mud crab costed RM45/kg in BM and RM50/kg in LL and big prawn costed RM68/kg. Try the local veg, it tasted good. Big Bottle beer costed RM15. Overall, I think you can give Top Spot a miss.

Hong Kong on Jln Padungan

A reasonable priced Chinese restaurant with aircon. The normal dish cost RM5. Recommended to try the sweet and sour soup (RM8) and the lotus leaf pork rib (RM15).

Song Kheng Hai Hawker Center

Was told by the local that this hawker center opens from noon to 4 pm. The stall closed once their food sold out. We were so lucky that we managed to get the last 3 plates of the Belachan beehoon! Tried the “kompia” or “Guang Bing” in Mandarin, belachan beehoon (RM3) and sugar cane with coconut (RM1). Not bad at all. Have not tried the ABC, rojak and carrot cake but I think they are good as a lot of local are eating them.

Dumpling, Sio Mai and Big Pau

Cheap and good. The dumpling, sio mai and big pau are stuffed with ingredient generously. Try the My Pau on Jln Padungan.

Kuching Kayaking – a great day out with great views but bored after 2 hours as not much to expect. No wild life is seen. Only butterflies, dragonflies and birds singing sound. Beehoon and one type of fruit is served for lunch. Personally, the price is expensive and is boring compared kayaking in Krabi.

Waterfront – A nice and peaceful walk along the waterfront with love ones. Really enjoyed and there was no touting at all. Single lady is advised not to walk alone in the night as there are cases of snatch thieves and robbery.

Satok Sunday Market – Not recommended unless you are European as not much different from any local less asian market and getting there by bus is not easy as the timing is not reliable. Taxi from Satok Market to Waterfront costed RM14.

It rained when we were there on the second day and did not get to Bako as planned. Hence, we went to watch Batman in the cinema (same building as Parkson shopping center next to Hilton Hotel). The tkt is RM10 pp.

Overall, I found Kuching is a peaceful and slow paced city and the people are friendly. No touting as experienced in Bali and Thailand.

Mentioned in this post
Kuching
Kuching
Sarawak, Malaysia
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuching Trip Report July 2012

Glad that you like Cat City.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuching Trip Report July 2012

Thanks for posting the report of your trip, yawn17. Unfortunate that you missed out on Bako because of the weather - maybe a good reason to return sometime in the future?!

3. Re: Kuching Trip Report July 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2013, 10:15