We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to leave Bako?

Which Kuching hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,998 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Time to leave Bako?

Can anyone shed any light on what is the latest time you could leave Bako NP? We are keen to see the animals coming out at night, but not so sure that we would be comfortable in the lodges (travelling with my older mother - needs aircon!) Also, is there anywhere we can get a tide chart to see how this might affect our plans when we go? TIA!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to leave Bako?

It depends on your mode of transport for getting back to Kuching.

If you arrange private bus/taxi then you could possibly leave around 6pm I would have thought. Not much later as it will be getting dark from around 630 depending on time of year. If you take public bus latest boat departure you can arrange is about 4pm from the park.

To be honest, in my opinion - the only way to really appreciate the night life at Bako is an overnight stay.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to leave Bako?

Tide times can be found here

…mobilegeographics.com/calendar/…3177.html

Agree with KR about booking a taxi back - main problem will be making sure you get a boat ride at the right time. You don't say when you will travel....... from mid December thru to March the sea can get quite rough and the boats may not be operating. Same can happen if a typhoon is crossing the south china sea.

I think the new accommodation block does have AC in some rooms - check it out with park HQ.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,998 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to leave Bako?

thank you for both your replies - we are travelling in May 2013.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to leave Bako?

The new accommodation may have A/C in some rooms but is still not open to public, its taking its time despite being completed.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time to leave Bako?

Just to add, the sea should be calm in May as its past the Monsoon and approaching the driest part of the year. So shouldn't be any problem with boats running. And with a bit of luck, the new chalets might just be open to the public by then too!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,998 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time to leave Bako?

Thanks - I'll send them an email and see what they say :)

7. Re: Time to leave Bako?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 07:17