We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monthly rentals within 2km of Kuching waterfront?

Which Kuching hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Monthly rentals within 2km of Kuching waterfront?

Hey everyone!

The subject line says it all: I'm looking for a place to rent near the Kuching waterfront. It can be a house, a penthouse, whatever - there's only two of us, so quality over the quantity of floorspace is definitely my line of thinking. Privacy is also a big thing for us, so that's definitely a consideration.

I've gone and checked out Riverine Sapphire; the apartment we took a look at was pretty great, but I'm looking to see what else is out there. I'm looking for anything ranging from a half-decent to a really nice place: anywhere between 1000 and 3000 RM, really. Realistically, I think I'll be looking at the 1800-3000 RM range, given the location and the monthly rental requirement. However, for the right place I'd go higher.

Any suggestions? Does anyone have experience with real estate agents in the area, who may have a decent spread of short-term rentals?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monthly rentals within 2km of Kuching waterfront?

How long are you looking to rent for? You say 'short term' but most apartment/condo leases will be one year minimum. If you wanted six months, you might be able to negotiate, but would likely have to pay more per month.

There are not many good apartment blocks within 2km of the waterfront. You have seen Riverine Sapphire, have you seen the already established 'Emerald' condo next to it? Here you can find units of 2 or 3 bedrooms from around RM1800 - 3000. It also has a swimming pool. There is also Riverbank Suite right on the waterfront, but this is more rundown and in disrepair compared to Riverine. It also has smaller units, and costs more!

There is also Bampfylde Residence and Parkview (think is the name), both are quite pricey though - could be up to RM4000 per month. They rarely have units to let, but Riverine Emerald often does, and would be my recommendation.

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monthly rentals within 2km of Kuching waterfront?

Thanks for the tips!

All of my Riverine Sapphire contacts have fallen through - at least for the decent apartments. I've reached out to a few real estate agencies, and from that I have a Riverbank-related lead. Bampfylde look awesome, but their website advertises a one year minimum term quite boldly - maybe there's an option to be found there through a real estate agency?

I can't find any Emerald rentals online, so I might just go down there in-person and ask. Best way to do things around here, for sure!

If anyone has any contacts who have a spread of short-term rentals available, please let me know :)

Zac

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monthly rentals within 2km of Kuching waterfront?

Check mudah.my they have several at emerald :)

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monthly rentals within 2km of Kuching waterfront?

Update:

Didn't realise at first that the Emerald was literally inside the very same complex as the Sapphire. After contacting 2 local real estate agencies, several people off the internet, and a number of friends-of-friends and recommended contacts, only one short-term rental was offered to me; that rental was in the Emerald, but the apartment was quite worn down. To boot, I only found that one since my partner is Malay, and managed to get some contact details out of an employee! Oh well...

People just don't seem to care about a short-term rental, even at a rate well-above the market standard. It's like nobody actually cares about having a tenanted apartment, despite there being quite a few vacancies! I'll probably just go to the 360, but even they don't seem to care if I'm interested in taking a look at an apartment. Kuching can be way too laid-back for comfort sometimes...

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monthly rentals within 2km of Kuching waterfront?

I understand your point, it seems like some people are quite inflexible and have an 'all or nothing' attitude. Maybe they also have so much money they dont really care if its rented or not!!

Hope you still manage to find something decent soon..

6. Re: Monthly rentals within 2km of Kuching waterfront?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 06:16