We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Nights in Kuching

In cooperation with: Sarawak Tourism Board
London
Level Contributor
23 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
3 Nights in Kuching

I am planning on spending 3 nights in Kuching. I haven't yet booked a hotel as I was not sure what things there are to do (and whether spending a night in the rainforest would be a good idea). Can anyone tell me a good plan for 4 days (3 nights) there? It will be my only time on Borneo so want to do as much as possible and see the things that really must be seen (although I am not completely sure on what they exactly are! any help on that would be very much appreciated!)

Also, is Kuching the best place to go, or would Kota Kinabalu be a better prospect (same amount of time).

Edited: 21 March 2013, 17:33
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Nights in Kuching

What you want to do depends on your interests. If you say a little about those, you will get more feedback. Check out the 'things to do' section for Kuching (and KK) and that might help spark some ideas!

London
Level Contributor
23 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Nights in Kuching

Thanks for the reply. Okay, so I would like to see the orangutan sanctuary (there seems to be a few, which is best?) and the probiscus monkeys in the national park.

I would also like to go to the Sarawak village.

Is there anything else that should be done? How would it be best to go and see these things?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Nights in Kuching

There us just one orangutan santuary nr Kuching - semengogh. The other place u find them at is matang wildlife park but it's a glorified zoo. (not my cup of tea)

semengogh, bako np (proboscis) and cultural village all accessed by bus or cab. The latter 2 easy with the bus. Orangutans maybe better as a tour on a mini bus.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Nights in Kuching

Also if beaches are your thing then better ones nr KK. However on balance I would stick with Kuching.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Nights in Kuching

As KR suggests - Semengogh & Bako are a must do.

Maybe spend a night in Bako as this is almost rainforest and you can see a lot of wildlife & dawn & dusk.

Walk around the old town - 1/2 a day

Visit the museum - 2 hours

Cross the river by boat and visit the kampung (Malay village) - 2 hours.

If visiting on a weekend - Satok weekend Market - 2 or 3 hours.

FOOD - try the food in the coffee shops - don't be afraid. Just walk in, find a table. Some one will come to take a drinks order. Walk around the food stalls and order what you fancy. Pay when the food or drinks are delivered to your table.

Look here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298302-i9174-k417…

and here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g660694-i11609-k22…

I wrote the above for Penang - but they are valid in Kuching.

Also have a look at FAQ's for places to eat.

You might also consider a kayaking trip - try Kuching Kayaking http://www.kuchingkayak.com/

Also, given your limited time frame, I suggest you consider a car with driver/guide. James is highly reccommended ( saratour68@yahoo.com ) by a number of people using the Kuching forum. He will help you get the most out of your 4 days.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Nights in Kuching

Whoops - hotels - my own preference is Lime Tree Hotel.

London
Level Contributor
23 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Nights in Kuching

That's great! Thank you KR and esorlegin. Semengogh it is then. I will be doing beaches later on so it's not too important for Kuching.

We will be there over the weekend so thanks for letting me know about the market. Yeah, lime tree looks like a good choice, I already had my eye on there so it's good to get another recommendation. I'll check out staying in Bako too.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
144 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Nights in Kuching

Definitely

1. Semengoh

2. Bako

3. Cultural village

Get early to orangutan a, better chance of viewing then you have rest of day to hire a little boat trip up the river and spend some time wandering waterfront and Carpenter street. The village sounds kitsch but is really well done and great fun.

Most importantly enjoy the food

Top spot is touristy but lots of locals too

The mirin amazing

The dyak is one of my favourite restaurants in the world! do not miss it!!!!

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
499 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Nights in Kuching

This info here has been very helpful.Thinking of doing 4 nights on my way home from Bali via Singapore. Will arrive in the early evening so that night doesn't count so have 3 full nights

Already know that i want to see the orangutan sanctuary and Bako

Despite the dodginess on the NP accommodations I really want to do an overnight.My question is-would it be possible to get to the airport from Bako in time for a 1600 flight to Singapore?

Or would it be better to spend 2 nights in Kuching,do the one night in the NP and than spend the last night in Kuching?

Thanks for any help

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Nights in Kuching

to get to the airport for a 1600 flight - check in 2 hours before. Now it 1400. Get to the airport from Bako - say 90 minutes to be safe - it's now 12.30pm. Boat from the park to meet your (pre booked) taxi - allow 1 hour as the boats don't run on a clock.

So, you would need to leave at 11.30am latest.