We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

In cooperation with: Sarawak Tourism Board
Toronto
Level Contributor
686 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

We just returned from 5 days in Kuching and really had a wonderful time.

My impression of Kuching was very positive. We stayed at the Hilton and got complimentary upgrade to the river view. It was very peaceful and soothing to get back everyday to such a wonderful view. Kuching was much less touristy than Penang, Bali, Phuket, KL or Singapore so if you like a lot of actions this would not be for you. I thought the city was very clean and people were exceptionally friendly. We ate at Top Spot a couple of times and loved the cheap and fresh seafood.

The first day we did the city walk, stopping by all the attractions in the city. I learned a lot about the history of Borneo and Malaysia at the Sarawak museum and the Chinese History museum. We also crossed the river and happened to see Malaysian kids in the traditional clothes leaving the mosque (so cute) and young couples sitting along the river banks.

The following day we visited the Semengoh Natural Reserve (saw 8 orangutans including Richie) then moved on to the Annah Rais long house. The next day we took a taxi to the Bako NP (got lucky again to see the proboscis monkey) and returned by bus (very simple to do on your own).

We then spent 2 nights at the Damai Beach Resort for some R&R. The hotel was old but the Baruk suite was very romantic with the view of the ocean. The beach was nothing to speak about relative to those in Phuket or the Caribbean, but the sunset was spectacular and the seclusion of the location was much appreciated. I highly recommend the Bayridge sea food restaurant adjacent to the hotel ( a little more pricey than the food court but offered much better quality and ambience). The Damai resort is next door to the Sarawak Cultural Village which is touristy but it was a good 1/2 day out to learn about the people of Sarawak.

Overall I highly recommend Kuching if you like nature, good food and enjoy learning about different cultures. If shopping is your priority than this is not the place.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for sharing your info - I'm heading back at the end of August. I'm just wondering, did you find anywhere close by Hilton for breakfast, or did you just eat at the hotel?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

TN007 if you are looking for a decent place for breakfast, i would recommend Chong Choon Cafe which is about 15 min walking, it located next to the Air Asia sales office. They serve good Sarawak Laksa and nice coffee. Apart from that, Green Hill would be good too ..which is just near to the Chinese Temple beside Hilton. Or mind to share what are you looking for

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Glad you enjoyed bay ridge seafood, I was there last year and the fish was very poor. Much better IMO is beach seafood restaurant a few kms back on the rd to kuching.

Chong choon cafe is good but extremely busy. You might have to wait 10 mins or more for a table but the laksa is great. Used to like green hill corner a lot but last few visits I had, the hygiene of the place was very questionable (dead cockroaches on the floor and the final straw, an insect in my soy sauce)

Toronto
Level Contributor
686 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

TN007, we had breakfast at the Hilton as it was in the room rate, but their breakfast was mediocre.

I believe James Brooke cafe at the water front across from the Chinese museum serves breakfast. we only had lunch there and their laksa was pretty good.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the suggestions and replies..

Ideally I'd like some great Roti, not too far from Ariva Gateway as I have to drag the family along for breakfast :) My husband is not too sure about eating curry or noodles for breakfast, but I love roti susu and banana, or egg....oh lets be honest - I'll try anything!

Edited: 30 July 2013, 12:59
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

hahah i cant remember if Kuching has any place nearby Hilton that serve good Roti prata and something similar except there is this malay cafe a few block from Green Hill Corner. There is this lady selling roti and I have tried before but in the evening during my stay @ Harbour View Hotel.

portugal
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

hello

You didn't go to singapore and kuala Lumpur?

TK for your answer.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

I also found wonderful roti on the last day, on the street just behind Ariva (go out the front doors, turn right and turn right again) in front of Hills Shopping Centre - this is where my boys started their Roti addiction!

Toronto
Level Contributor
686 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

Hi Tina

I did stay in Singapore for 2 days after Kuching before flying home, but not KL.

Still craving the curry dishes in Little India in Singapore.

Kuching, Sarawak...
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report

Thank you for your sharing!