We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Semenggoh or Orangutan Project

In cooperation with: Sarawak Tourism Board
Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Semenggoh or Orangutan Project

Hi All,

I will only be in Kuching for three days and would love to make the most of it. I really want to visit the orangutans. I do not know whether to visit the Semenggoh Nature Reserve or the Great Orangutan Project? Could we do both in the one day, or is one better than the other? I would love to hear anyone's opinion or experiences.

thankyou.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Semenggoh or Orangutan Project

I am not sure what is involved in the Great Orangutan Project, but at Semenggoh, they have a morning and afternoon feeding session. The orangutans are totally wild, and free to roam through the jungle, so there may be some times when they do not appear (i.e. if it is fruiting season and they have lots of wild food in the jungle).

However, having said that, I have visited Semenggoh on two separate occassions and been graced with 8-12 adults plus infant orangutans each time - including one morning where it poured rain. I have also heard a rumour which someone might confirm that if you go to the morning feeding and there is no appearance, you can come back and try again in the afternoon.

Keep in mind, that the viewing session only goes for around 30-45 minutes and then you are required to leave. There is also a kiosk, information centre and some terrible crocodile cages to pad out your time there.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Semenggoh or Orangutan Project

I'd go for semenggoh. It's a nice piece of jungle with a good chance of spotting semi wild orangutans in as natural a habitat as is possible outside of being fully wild. Your ticket is valid morning and afternoon regardless of whether you see them in the morning or not.

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Semenggoh or Orangutan Project

thankyou both for this information. We will try and Semenggoh. i hope we are fortunate to view these wonderful creatures.

kuching
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Semenggoh or Orangutan Project

If you don't dare the risk of not seeing orangutans, you can go to Matang Wildlife Centre. It's a mini zoo and orangutans there are caged.

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
19 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Semenggoh or Orangutan Project

I was at semenggoh today morning. And I really liked it.i didnt have enough time to see the other place. We waited for an hour before three of the apes came to feed. The rangers let us have an extra half hour because we had waited a long time. The trails are beautiful. I will definately go back again. Also your ticket is valid for the whole day. Ie two feeding times.9am and another in the afternoon

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Semenggoh or Orangutan Project

I have taken the local bus for the morning feed a few times. Never missed a sighting. The number does depend on the season/natural food situation. Its a bit of a walk from the bus stop at front gate but not difficult, and no one should get lost, and the drivers usually tell you the return bus time (a bit of a wait unless you walk back slowly).

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Semenggoh or Orangutan Project

The walk from the front gate to the feeding areas might be considered more taxing for small children or elderly people - as its not that close.

Cheongju, South...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Semenggoh or Orangutan Project

does anyone have any info about kayaking in between feeding times nearby??

Kuching, Sarawak...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Semenggoh or Orangutan Project

Anyone of the kayak operators will be able to fit in the kayaking trip in between the feeding times. Most of them offer packages that will include the visit to the center. Otherwise you can make your own way to the center and asked to be picked up from the center.

10. Re: Semenggoh or Orangutan Project

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 05:16