We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rates for guide and river trip

Which Kuching hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Rates for guide and river trip

Myself and my girlfriend are planning a trip out of Kuching for a few days up some rivers etc to see off the beaten track. I was just wondering what the going rate for a guide is to sort it all out as we don't want to get ripped off plus we are on a tight budget?

Advise appreciated

Thanks

Matt

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,212 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rates for guide and river trip

This site do not rip off people but slow in response.

Free or nominal sum charged for guide provided at the park.

www.sarawakforestry.com/htm/snp-np-bako.html

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rates for guide and river trip

There are a few personal guides/drivers that have been recommended on this forum previously.

I have personally twice used, and highly recommend Jihey Ridup, whom you can contact via email jiheytt@yahoo.com . His rates will depend on what activities you want to do, i.e. day trips around Kuching to Semgenggoh and SCV or Fairy Caves etc will be different to overnight treks out to the beautiful longhouses. What ever your choice, I know Jihey will give you a fair price - especially if you say you found his recommendation here.

Other guides that are highly recommended on this forum are Danny Voon of 'Escapade Borneo', and another fellow by the name of James..but I'm sorry I have no more info at hand - if you are lucky one of the DE's might come along with his details.

Either way, send out a couple of emails and get some quotes, then you will at least have something to compare. Keep in mind that you will pay a significant premium to use a tour office compared to a private guide.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rates for guide and river trip

I think James operates under a FB page "Travel Guide Kuching" - if you can't find his details elsewhere here on TA.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rates for guide and river trip

That's great thanks, contacted James. Really good guy. Comparing quotes is a good idea, thanks.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rates for guide and river trip

James is (without doubt) your best bet - he is honest and trustworthy and will give you a great experience. Ask him about Katibas River - WAY off the beaten track. To keep him happy, offer to buy him Bishops Nose at a night market.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
556 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rates for guide and river trip

We followed TN007's recommendation for Jihey Ridup, he is a first class guide and a true gent. His car isn't the most modern but his personality more than made up for this. If I had a criticism it is that he tries to

Edited: 25 March 2014, 23:33
Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
556 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rates for guide and river trip

following on from previous post I was saying if he had a fault is that he tries too hard to please if that can be a fault?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rates for guide and river trip

Hi Tafer - glad to hear you enjoyed Jihey's services. He really is a friendly and informative guide.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rates for guide and river trip

I can also recommend Jihey, used him last month. Very informative, friendly, and flexible.

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rates for guide and river trip

Hi,

Can I ask if you have used James Chee in Sarawak as a Guide? Was he good?

Thanks

Charlotte