We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beer in Sarawak/Kuching

Which Kuching hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Helsinge
Level Contributor
3 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
beer in Sarawak/Kuching

Hi

I am going on Holiday to Kuching. I love beer, i drink it for pleasure, not to get drunk, beers from microbrewers are my favorites.

Can anyone tell me what kind of beer do they drink in Kuching/Sarawak, e.g. name on

Breweries. It seems impossible to find anything in Google search.

Best regards,

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,760 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beer in Sarawak/Kuching

You will probably get Tiger, Carlsberg and Heineken, I have also seen Budweiser in some better bars in Malaysia.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beer in Sarawak/Kuching

The choice is nothing like in Europe however with a little exploration you can get past the staples of tiger, Heineken, Guinness and carlsberg. Others include - asahi, Cambodia, tsing Tao, corona, kronenburg, hoegaarden.

Most are light beers, which is very much appreciated in the sweltering heat of Borneo!

Hallett Cove
Level Contributor
357 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beer in Sarawak/Kuching

Apparently (according to the net) there are no micro breweries etc. due to prohibitive cost of licence but most of the beers mentioned above are available with Tiger probably being the most widely available. Cold on a hot day it is refreshing and definitely a good drop. Cheers, Skol, Sante....

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beer in Sarawak/Kuching

The other reason why you don't find breweries is that a large % of the population in Malaysia don't drink alcohol!

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beer in Sarawak/Kuching

People do not drink beer cos of extremely high tax on alcoholic drink.

but they love all type of beer

NORWICH
Level Contributor
197 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beer in Sarawak/Kuching

Never seen a micro brewery in Malaysia. Other half would die and go to heaven. Some places now selling Hoegarden but that's about it I'm afraid.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beer in Sarawak/Kuching

Extremely restrictive or difficult to apply for a micro or whatever brewery at this Muslim controlled government.

Some states not allowed to sell alcoholic drink.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,411 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beer in Sarawak/Kuching

If you are going to stay in Kuching I highly recommend the night foodcourt that sets up on the rooftop of the carpark in town. Ask anyone for directions.

Cheapest black pepper crab I have ever enjoyed and they have beer stalls there too.

I ate there every night the week I was there.

Hallett Cove
Level Contributor
357 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beer in Sarawak/Kuching

The one Brewery I recall (circa 190) was "Anchor Brewery in KL', ancient history I know but it was a really nice beer....has it shut down ???

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: beer in Sarawak/Kuching

Don't be put off my the comments regarding the % of Malaysians who don't drink alcohol - not quite the same in Sarawak where there are a much lower % of Muslims.

Taxes imposed by the Central Government in KL stlii apply though :-(