We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible to visit 2 islands in same atoll

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Possible to visit 2 islands in same atoll

Hi, I went to Kuramathi and Atoll explorer last year (my first trip to the Maldives). I was planning on going to Borneo (Sabah and islands), but after seeing that it costs between £750-£1000 for 2 nights on a Sabah island, I thought I would save my money and possibly return to the Maldives.

How feasible is it to visit 2 islands on the same Atoll?

I would like to spend a week on Kuramathi again and either a week on one of the following:

1) Veligandu

2) Vilamendhoo

3) Angaga

4) Open to suggestions

To transfer, would I have to return to Male and effectively pay for another transfer or would it be simpler than that?

My number one requirement is a fantsatic house reef for snorkelling, and then 'nice to haves' would be a picturesque setting with modern rooms.

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible to visit 2 islands in same atoll

Just noticed that veligandu looks twice as expensive as vilamendhoo, so not sure how practical this would be.

Also angaga isn't a kuoni resort but kuramthi is...so again I'm not sure if these can be combined?

Surrey
Level Contributor
370 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible to visit 2 islands in same atoll

Hi

Fairly sure that you could combine any two resorts. But you always have to return to Male and go out again. If your islands are by sea plane transfer, this cn can take up a good half day. You will be quicker if you have a speed boat transfer, as they are often waiting to meet you and go out again as soon as possible.

We went to two islands in same atoll, and the second one was the other direction from Male, but we had to return to Male and then go PAST our first island to get to the second.

There is sometimes the option to pay extra for a direct transfer, but this can be very expensive (about £250+) - hence we opted to return to Male.

We have also been to two islands by seaplane, and are pleased that we did this, as it was like two holidays in one. However i know that many people on the forum prefer to stay put in one place and not waste time with extra transfers.

At the end of the day it is down to personal choice.

Mal

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
949 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible to visit 2 islands in same atoll

I'm sure it would be possible.

We did Kuramathi and Kuredu last year, not out of choice really, but because the atoll explorer got cancelled so we were offered Kuramathi instead. We quite enjoyed all the sea plane trips, and were in the second island by lunch time. And we certainly enjoyed the experience of two different islands.

Isn't Veligandu close to Kuramathi, just the other side of the inhabited island? I seem to remember it is the same owners as Kuramathi, I would think they would be happy to transfer you with one of the boats, just a thought. But I agree, Veli may be a bit pricey!

Have a great trip whatever you decide.

lancashire
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible to visit 2 islands in same atoll

You can see kuramathi from veligandu , i think you can do a boat transfer to and from them ,,,, the reef/snorkeling in veligandu is not the best .

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible to visit 2 islands in same atoll

Yes I think Veligandu and Kuramathi are very close, I think there was a day trip offered, but we never went because of the constant rain.

niftynotfifty...what did you think of kuredu compared to Kuramathi?

I'm still really open to ideas for the 2nd ideas....in fact I'm actually considering Equator village at Gan. I know it will be far from picture perfect but I thought it might be quite interesting to see the 'Real maldives' combined with the British military history and the snorkelling there...however the snorkeling/house reef reviews do seem rather mixed.

Reply to: Possible to visit 2 islands in same atoll
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted