We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives Virgin, Need to know about - Weather, Flights, and...

Walsall
9 posts
Save Topic
Maldives Virgin, Need to know about - Weather, Flights, and...

Hi im flying out next month and just wanted to know if anyone had some advice on the weather June/July, i know it is the rainy season, has any on been to this island at this time of year?

Another quick question, the flights (sea plane) i know its about 40 mins flight, but could any one tel me how long they waited fro a connection at the main airport?

The building work.. if anyone who has just come back from there has any pics of the current construction on the island (it sounds like its only in one plece - wich dosnt bother me) but if some one could advise me on how things are getting on...

Cheers,

Gareth

gaznet@hotmail.com

Hemel, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldives Virgin, Need to know about - Weather, Flights, and...

Be prepared, the Seaplane wait can be ages.....

4hrs for us!!!

But when your up in the air, the sight and colours below you are awesome. Worth waiting for.

PS do not take any shoes for the islands, you will not need them...

Enjoy

Walsall
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldives Virgin, Need to know about - Weather, Flights, and...

Cheers Mark,

Has any one been at this time of year?, if so how is the weather, i have heard that the rain is over as soon as it starts, is there much rain?

Gareth

Ribchester, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldives Virgin, Need to know about - Weather, Flights, and...

Hi Gareth

I have been to the Maldives on a number of occasions, and has always been either may, june, july.

If the weather was bad, then i wouldnt have been a second, third or fourth time. The Maldives are a wonderful place and the weather... well. Indeed you are there in the middle of the monsoon season, but it isn't what you think it is. A ten minute downpour once every four days in may, increasing to once every day in june/july. It really isnt anything to worry about. As soon as its down its dried up again.

I personaly believe that it is a welcome break from the wall to wall sunshine and constant heat/humidity. It is also great fun watching the storm approach... hitting one island, then the next... coming striaght for you and then at the 11th hour, diverting and missing you completely. Its fantastic.

There is, however an increase in cloud, and out of two weeks you will probably see three complete cloudy days, and the snorkeling/diving on these days aren't great to be honest.

I must tell you to snorkel during the storm... its amazing. With the rain bouncing off your back is an amazing experience, with the added extra of the sharks! The rain for some strange reason brings them close to shore (litterally a foot off shore). Don't be put off by this... they are only a foot or two long, and they wont touch you. Its fantastic.

Wind is another bonus during these months. With the islands being so small and invariably rounded, there is always one side that around 3-7pm has the most bracing wind! You can look at this in a simpler form. You sunbath on the sheltered side, and when it all gets too much, go for a stroll around the island a cool off a little.

Hope this is enough info for you. The island and the maldives as a whole are amazing. You will not be dissapointed at all. I am travelling to Meedhupparu on 22nd May for a fortnight, this being my forth time to the islands!

Enjoy

Martyn

Walsall
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldives Virgin, Need to know about - Weather, Flights, and...

Thanks Martyn,

I thought that would be the case, so all i have to worry about now is that the sea plane turns up on time ;)

I cant wait, i hope you have a nice time, please come back to this forum when you get bak to let us all know how you get on..

Cheers.

uk
Level Contributor
728 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maldives Virgin, Need to know about - Weather, Flights, and...

OOooooppppsssss sorry Martyn but, no matter how many times you visit a place the weather changes constantly!!!

We returned last Tuesday and we had rain one afternoon, just a splash really and then it rained one evening for a few hours during the meal time hours.

And then.......... on the day we were returning at about 10 am we saw the clouds that you mentioned and it was a wonderful sight, then it started to rain, and rain and rain!!!! Thunder, lightening it seemed to circle the Island ) the lot, even a couple of water spouts, one of which touched down on the other jetty!! We were due to fly off of the Island at 12.15pm and were delayed for an hour, the rain seemed to ease of as we were leaving so we don't know how much longer that continued for on that day. So we saw the rain from approx 10 am until we left, I have the photo's to prove it too!!! Warm rain though and the sun will have come out and dried it all up as quick as anything as the heat from it is so strong.

Jan

Walsall
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maldives Virgin, Need to know about - Weather, Flights, and...

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the weather update, I was expecting rain, I was just wondering how much? Most weather websites are going OTT on the rain reports and so I have simply ignored them. Went to Dom Rep last year and was told it would be constantly rainy - it rained in total 3 days out of 14 - I can handle 5 hours of rainfall a day, all im worried about is that it may be more than that. Most websites are saying constant rainfall and thunderstorms when really I assume it���s the case of just a couple of hours of rainfall a day.

Is my assumption right?

Oh, could you send me over the photos u took of the weather if you get 2 mins?

Kind regards,

Gareth

gaznet@hotmail.com

uk
Level Contributor
728 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maldives Virgin, Need to know about - Weather, Flights, and...

Hi Gareth,

We were happy that the rain fall was kept to the minimum and when it did rain the heat was still there so we went in the sea!! It was a respite from the humidity too - phew!!!

You are going with the same attitude that we went with so I am sure you will be fine, there are big golfing umbrellas in the room incase it is raining at dining times.

As I said the worst rain was the day we left and it looked like it was esing as we flew out, so that was the most we saw for the two weeks we were there but, Lannia is back today and I am sure she will come and post what the weather was like this past week (this site is wonderful for us intrepid travellers)!

I will go and e mail you as of now.

Jan

Get answers to your questions about North Ari Atoll