We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meedhupparu island

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Meedhupparu island

We are honeymooning here from Jan 24th 2005. I have read all the reviews and done my homework, but would really appreciate some honest feedback about the place. We are both in our forties, not into late nights, but I have recently got the scuba bug. My email is Brianphilhall@aol.com

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meedhupparu island

Hello just wondering if you have heard anything from your travel agents i have tried to send you an email would appreciate it if you would get it touch as we are surposed to be on our honey moon at the begining of april 2005 too

Manchester, Uk.
Level Contributor
747 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meedhupparu island

Hi. My boyfriend and I (we are both 30) stayed at Meedhupparu for two weeks in September 2003. It was our first time in the Maldives, and we absolutely loved it. The island itself is really quite beautiful, although it isnt quite like in the brochure photos, only in that one end of the island has suffered erosion making it impossible for you to walk all the way around without going inland. A handful of the bungalows at this end of the island are out of use with the sea lapping at their foundations, and really should be demolished. There are a series of sea walls that have been built in an attempt to prevent further erosion spoiling that part of the island. This really is, in our opinion, the only thing I can say against the resort. Having spent the two weeks eating the great food (most of which is cooked in front of you, for example fresh meats, fish, pasta etc), taking in a few cocktails, and having only the occasional late night - the washing away of the island paled into insignificance! The staff are very polite, friendly and helpful. We didnt have any reason to complain during our stay. We got what we felt was a really good room, situated only a few meteres from the beach, I think it was 165 - it was at the opposite end from the eroded tip, and we hardly saw a sole on the beach each day. I cannot comment on the diving as I am not qualified to do so. I did a spot of snorkelling (having never done ot before) and that was great, seeing plenty of the stereotypical colourful fish, turtles etc. We have since returned to the Maldives, although to a different island, but not because we have anything against Meed, just wanted to see the the other resorts the Maldives has to offer. We would definitely return to Meedhupparu. Have a great time!

Nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Meedhupparu island

Brian

you have mail

Simon

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meedhupparu island

We are going to Meedhupparu but not until Feb2006. We spent ages trying to decide which island to go to. So once decided we booked really early to ensure we get island we wanted. All reports we've read have been good, I would really be grateful if anyone had anything more to say about the island or even so photos. What side of island is best to stay in? Things like that.

Does anyone now what damage has been caused by tsunami to Meedhupparu?

Nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Meedhupparu island

casliz

Meedhupparu was not damaged by the tsunami at all..

i was there with my wife 8 weeks ago...post your e-mail address and i will send you a few pictures and some general advice on what we thought... oh ..we had a fabulous time

Simon

Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Meedhupparu island

We are also going to Meedhupparu but not until April 05. I would love some advice about the island, any post tsunami damage, what to take and what not to etc. As first time to the Maldives any information would be gratefully received!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meedhupparu island

hi madaboutmaldives,we arrive on april 11 2005 so we will be there when you are.we were there in may 2003 and it was so good we just had to go back again.Be warned this island really gets to you we tried mexico antigua and all my husband and i kept saying was its not like the maldives.The island is beautifull the sea is full of tropical fish the food is great.The staff are brillent.Bungalows are really clean they are cleaned twice a day.Dress is casual there is a great swimming pool.Plenty of friendly crows who walk up the beach with you early morning .you have the same waiter and table all holiday and you really get to know them well they love football and will invite you to play it with them in there complex if you want to.The sea plane is amazing to see all these little islands in the sea is a site we will never forget and when you land you are met by the friendly staff who take you to reception book you in give you a cold face towel and a nice cold drink heaven.you are then taken to your bungalow the room boy carrieds your case and you just think wow what a wonderfull place.we cant wait to go back.Anyone going here could not think anything else.see you in april.Hello to naffu and usman if you read this.

Leicester, England
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Meedhupparu island

We are travelling here 18th April, would like to know what damage there is if any?? First time to Maldives, would appreciate some photographs if anyone has any, also any tips or advise that you can give us.

Wales
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Meedhupparu island

I'm going out to the Island in August on honeymoon. Like most people I considered quite a few islands before deciding on Meedhupparu. I would also be interested in seeing photos of the islands, including some of part of the island which has been affected by erosion. Also if people have photos of the island after the tsunami that would be good.

Eastbourne, England
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Meedhupparu island

My boyfriend and i are going there in mid March 2005 so i have been doing as much research as possible into whether it has been affected by the Tsunami. Lunn Poly could not tell me whether Meedhupparu was directly afected, and said that most resorts are in operation, so i decided to phone the resort myself to check. Hotel staff have confirmed that the island has not been affected and no renovations are needed. (I have read on other sites that 3900 people were evacuated from a fairly nearby island in the Raa Atoll) Meedhupparu has not been mentioned on any of the sites as an affected/evacuated resort. Please let me know if you've heard otherwise! My email is fatimahp@hotmail.com