We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol

Does anyone know if you can take duty free into the Maldives these days. Know you couldn't 11 years ago when I last went. If not, can anyone comment on the wine/champagne list at the Chaaya Reef? Do like a nice glass of something while sitting on my beach bungalow balcony before dinner.

Mentioned in this post
Atoll Scuba
Scuba & Snorkeling
Rasdhoo Dive Centre
Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving, Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
PDH Maldives Diving Center
Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving
Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol

Hi Judimc

No you can't take any alcohol in duty free or otherwise. Can't comment Chaaya wine list

Regards

Doug

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol

no importation of any alcohol allowed (all bags are xrayed)as its Muslim nation

join http://www.chaayamaldivesforum.co.uk/ and ask on the forum as lots of people have been to Ellaidhoo lately or Brown Eyed Girl aka Tracy should be able to help.

Great info page for each Chaaya resort also

Nebraska
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol

So you are saying you cannot buy any alcohol at a duty free shop at the Male airport and bring it to your Maldives resort?

Mentioned in this post
Boston...
Level Contributor
414 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol

As I understand it (from reading, making my first trip in August) you can't take any alcohol into the Maldives & can only buy duty free alcohol when you're departing Male not when arriving.

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcohol

Bora bora,

you are correct you cant buy at Male and take it in, the Maldives is a Muslim country and do not sell alcohol, on the tourist islands YES as thats a money maker and the staff serving in bars tend to be None Muslims from India and Sri lanka, dont buy any on the way out either from the airport, as all bags---all bags are x-rayed and checked, any alcohol will be confiscated, you are given a recipt and can pick it up on the way home if you are able to.

Hope this clears things up.

Rumps

Mentioned in this post
uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcohol

rumpole, why cant you get any duty free on the return to your own country?

Isnt Duty free after all the baggage checks? or is it better getting ot on the plane home

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcohol

Jazbo

You misunderstood rumps - you can buy booze etc in duty free on your way back to your own country. What you cant do is buy it and bring it into the maldives or the islands. Any duty free booze is confiscated at Male as you go through customs, you get a receipt which you exchange on your way out.

Sg

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcohol

thanks , thought it sounded a bit strange.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcohol

Out = to the maldives in = return journey home.

R

accrington
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alcohol

of to chaaya reef september,me and wife also like a glass of something before dinner, how about getting couple of big shampoo bottles fill up with your favourite tipple stick in suitcase, cant see any probs doing that.

Get answers to your questions about North Ari Atoll