We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lanka visa

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Sri Lanka visa

Hi. I am travelling to the Maldives with a change of aircraft in Sri Lanka. Has anyone else had to do this and if so did you have a tourist or transit visa? Have tried the tour operator and even the Sri Lankan embassy who advise sort it out when you get there! However, with only one hour between landing and take off I don't feel that's the best advice!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sri Lanka visa

Hi and welcome to the forum

I found this on the Sri Lankan Dept of Immigration and Emigration:

www.immigration.gov.lk/web/index.php…

'Transit Visa

A Transit Visa is an entry permit granted to a foreign national for admission into Sri Lanka for a brief period which is incidential and in the course of his journey to another destination. '

I think I'd go back to the embassy and quote this to them and ask for a Transit Visa, explaining that you're on a very tight schedule when you change planes. If that still fails then perhaps contact the Dept of Im & Em yourself with the same request? There is a 'contact us' tab on thte link I've given you.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

SL

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri Lanka visa

Hi

I am assuming your flight is booked through to Male from London. In which case I wouldn't have thought there is any need for a visa.

OD

essex
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri Lanka visa

hi adole,

well seems yr in the same boat as us,we fly out with sri lankan air lines end of may and its been a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!

some say a transit some say a tourist even the travel company wernt sure which .

now after several phone calls we have decided to go for a tourist double visa which we got today through the www.eta.gov site.

atransit is valid up to seven days but as were longer than that, we went for tourist as thats what embassy told us.

its a headache as some info says get free one at airport but we only have 50 mins before take off again and cant chance getting in a Q being held up .

it cost 40 dollars for both of us so wont break the bank and we should be able now to go right through as in out and in out,without waiting ,when do you go and where are you staying in the maldives.

good luck its up to you but with time so tight i didnt want to have the worry.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri Lanka visa

We did the same journey as you last month, we applied for a transit visa online at no cost, while we were in the Colombo airport, no one asked to see our transit visa at all, nor on the return journey when technically we didn't have a visa.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sri Lanka visa

Hi zekoman, glad to know I'm not the only person confused! Last I heard from the embassy was to get a transit visa and speak to immigration when I arrive in Colombo, Sri Lankan Airlines say no visa is required as transit period is less than 24 hours and Virgin say a 30 day double entry tourist visa! I think like you that we will get the double entry tourist visa as we have so little time between flights and would hate not to get to the Maldives for the sake of a few extra dollars!

We go on 10th April and are staying at Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo. Where do you stay?

AdeleO

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sri Lanka visa

Thanks everyone for your replies. Seems to be no consistency in the advice from Embassy, airline and tour operator!

AdeleO

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sri Lanka visa

Hello again zekoman. What details did you put in the mandatory srilankan address box?

AdeleO

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sri Lanka visa

I just wrote "in transit" in that box.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sri Lanka visa

Great thank you.

AdeleO

London, United...
Level Contributor
496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sri Lanka visa

Adele, I've done the Maldives via Sri Lanka (like you just a short stop and change of plane) and it never occurred to me I'd need a visa as I didn't actually enter the country. No-one asked me for one and the transit went without a hitch.