We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gangehi questions

London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Gangehi questions

hi all

we're off to Gangehi very soon, so would appreciate some advice from those who've already been

plug sockets - can we use UK plugs in rooms/do rooms have 3 pin UK plugs or do we need an adapter?

snorkelling - best places? we'll be splitting our time between a seafront villa and water villa

any other hints/tips very welcome :)

UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gangehi questions

I think there is at least one UK type plug. Best take an adapter also.

Re snorkelling: walk out along the sand spit as far as you like and then walk to the left or swim to the drop off (it's not far). Then let the current take you back to the island. If the current is in the wrong direction then do this in reverse. Hope that makes sense.

If you walk about two thirds of the way along the sand spit and snorkel back along the drop off there are 3 or 4 spots where the clown fish hang out - so cute! Also some morays and rays in the lagoon between the sand spit and the reef drop off.

The snorkelling trips arranged by the island are quite good too. You go with the resident Marine Biologist. Very reasonably priced and some great table top corals.

Enjoy Gangehi - it's marvellous!

Any questions just ask but my memory is shocking!

UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gangehi questions

Wasso,

I hope you are paying attention here?

Rob.

London, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gangehi questions

great thanks Alfa,,,can you also snorkel from the beach where beach villa are or straight out from the watervilla or is off the sandbank the main place to go?

we are very much looking forward to it, 4 weeks to go now :)

UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gangehi questions

You can snorkel from the beach villas - no problem. I suggested walking along the sand spit if you want to do a long snorkel really and also to just let the current take you back to the island. I'm lazy and this seemed the less energetic option!

I don't think there is much of a reef directly outside the water villas - not sure - but they are near the sand spit anyway.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
921 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gangehi questions

vanilla42.....what dates are you there? We fly out 5 weeks today.

Babs

lancashire
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Gangehi questions

Alfa yes taking notes ,,, 3 weeks 1 day not counting ,,,, and did i say we got the A380 upgrade to business with air miles and £80 each !!!!!!!!!!!!!

UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gangehi questions

Wasso,

I know you are staying in a Deluxe WV for part of your trip. We had number 44 which has a small outcrop of reef right next to it. Spent hours one day looking for the turtle only to to find it under the steps of the DWV on my return. It promptly swam off to a small patch of reef ( take a line from DVW 40 and a line due west of the Thari) and I watched it there for half an hour or so till I was knackered! That was my third day of ten, I think, and never saw it again!!

Rob

Not jealous at all!!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
314 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gangehi questions

I was there in February and in our beach villa the plug sockets were 2 pin (European type) there are 2 great snorkelling areas, one that Alfa has told you about and there is also another beside the Beach villa number 1 just beside the jetty, both are amazing

London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gangehi questions

thanks all to the info...it sounds great! re plug sockets i did wonder whether it was euro plugs being an italian island

babs - we leave on may 19...so just over 4 wks now...when do you go?

p.s. sorry for confusion re my username...i had to set up a temp account as locked myself out of my normal one...! have asked TA to delete my vanilla one now :)

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
921 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gangehi questions

Hi jetsetter2011.........we also fly 19 May!

Babs.