We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Veligandu resort - dissapointed before arrival.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
72 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Veligandu resort - dissapointed before arrival.

Hi

I finally made my booking directly to the resort early last month for my upcoming holiday in mid Aug but truly dissapointed with them even before arrival.

Here's the chronology:

On early June, I emailed them asking about the points below:

- to request the availability of sunset view jacuzzi over water villa

- surprise arrangement for my husband

- query on seaplane transfer arrangement

Then the reservation manager responded in sending me a form to complete saying that the villa would be confirmed upon payment. He did not answer to my other queries.

I responded on the next day with the filled form and again asked those 3 points.

On that same day, i received notification from my bank that credit card has been charged succesfully for the villa booking but Veligandu Resort reservation manager did not reply to my mail.

The reservation manager responded a couple of days later telling me that payment was declined and asked me to check with my bank. Again, he did not answer to any of my request and queries at all.

I replied and cc it to the General Manager stating my dissapointment in not getting any response to my queries but yet, my credit card has been charged.

The Reservation Manager replied apologize for not noticing the payment done, booking has been confirmed and sea plane transfer will be arranged accordingly.

However, he diplomatically responded that he would do his best in getting us the sunset view villa.

I am utterly dissapointed with his response. The purpose of booking early and directly with the resort is to ensure that we get the kind of villa we want. It's not a cheap holiday afterall.

Fingers crossed that we would get the the kind of villa we want on the day of arrival. Totally disappointed with the way they handle reservation and really wonder how they get those awards.

And up to now, I hear nothing from the General Manager himself.

Anyone having the same experience as us?

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Veligandu resort - dissapointed before arrival.

Hello heldeyde

Its verry sorry to hear about the resorts respond. Am also leavng to veligandu on mid september. But i booked through simply maldives which was very professional. They neverc never assure the availability of requested villa but sure they will giv the geographical side. Will see how much quality service they provide.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Veligandu resort - dissapointed before arrival.

Jacuzzi water Villa is the Kind of Villa that you booked, and it is the Kind of Villa you will get, but there is no resort in the Maldives that will confirm you a specific number or even if they will give you a sunset or sunrise Villa.

Apart of that, there are some islands that answer very well guest questions and others that never answer...

I am sorry about your dissapointment and hope that your holiday is great.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Veligandu resort - dissapointed before arrival.

Hi, I think maybe a bit of unrealistic expectations at play here. Sorry.

The seaplane transfer will be organised when booking done and payment received as you saw. When you get to the seaplane terminal they will tell you the time, because the seaplane company organises the schedule the day before and it depends on who else is going to what islands and coming in in what international flights.

As maria says, no resort will guarantee you a given room, they simply can't, because it depends on what people arriving in the two weeks before you have booked and what room type they have booked and when a room can be freed up. They can't leave a room empty waiting for a few days waiting for you to arrive.

If you thought that booking early would allow you " first dibs" on a given room, then sorry this was never ever the case, because logistically that would never work, and would not for the very vast majority of rooms in hotels across the world.

You will get the room type you booked though. Don't be disappointed, you will have a wonderful vacation and are maybe getting hung up on stuff you really don't need to be hung up about.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Veligandu resort - dissapointed before arrival.

Email the resort no sooner than 2 weeks before your arrival and give them your requests regarding room location and surprises.

Make sure the resort has your flight details in advance so that the seaplane transfer will be organised. If you booked direct with the island and have not paid for the transfer yet then they will add this to your room bill.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Veligandu resort - dissapointed before arrival.

Lynn raises a good point, email two weeks before hand with your room request as this is when they normally do the allocations,

Ps, you didn't book early if you booked last month for a mid aug holiday, that's actually very late, many people book the Maldives a year in advance. For most holidays , anywhere, anything under three months is considered a late booking, but it's irrelevant as the main response still stands.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
72 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Veligandu resort - dissapointed before arrival.

thanks all for the insight.

Myself and probably a lot of other people may not have the luxury to go to Maldives often, many of the tourist there might be first timers as well.

It means most probably we do not understand how the seaplane transfers are being organized and how the rooms are being allocated..

@froggyEngland: you actually explained about the seaplane transfers very well in your first reply; that is at least what they can tell me in the first few emails exchanges.

The reservation manager basically did not answer to any of my queries at all; his response is merely on payment status.

@lyn: thanks for the input on emailing them prior my arrival.

Honestly, I would not mind if they asked me to email them again 2 weeks prior to arrival regarding villa allocation but as mentioned above, they really did not care about responding guests queries apart from payment.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Veligandu resort - dissapointed before arrival.

I genuinely don't think it's they don't care, you are reading more into it than is there. The staff at the resorts tend to be lovely. It's probably they have a language barrier with whomever is reading your response, coupled with being very busy and just going through the steps of booking you and getting payment, before dealing with your other requests. Plus you have time on your side, you don't go for a few weeks, but conversely it was a late booking so they are trying to get that sorted.

It's not personal, just the way things are done sometimes and nothing ill is intended. Sometimes emails can be misconstrued, There is nothing to be concerned about. Some islands are better than others at communicating, but those islands are not necessarily the best.

They won't ask you to email again two weeks before you go, I've not seen any resort do that. Just email again at the time and ask politely, and don't stress anymore,,,,

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Veligandu resort - dissapointed before arrival.

it is more likely that you wont get your particular room request. Its only a request. Of course you will get your room type but location is never ever guaranteed even if you booked 10 years in advance. Best to put in a range of numbers - say in a row of 5 or 10. Allocations are only done about 2 weeks before.

South West
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Veligandu resort - dissapointed before arrival.

Veligandu do take account of room requests where they can, last year I had booked a beach villa and e-mailed 2 weeks before departure to request a villa number from 205 to 207 (there are only 5). On arrival they mentioned my request and said they didn't know which one to give us so they went for the middle one and allocated us villa 206!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
219 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Veligandu resort - dissapointed before arrival.

Having stayed on Veligandu 3 years ago I can confirm what others have already said:

- seaplane transfers are schedule 1-2 days before by the seaplane company. The hotel cannot book a specific flight for you and you will know the time of your flight when you arrive in Male. For the return transfer they will let you know the departure time the day before you leave Veligandu.

- requests for a specific room can be made in advance and 2 weeks before arrival seems to be the right time to let them know of your preference. We did it and got what we had requested but of course there is no guarantee !

Also, even though Veligandu is a great place to have a holiday, keep in mind this is a 4 star resort and you can not expect the same level of service you would get from a 5+ star resort. Still, the standards of service in the Maldives are very high and I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

I wish you a great time in Veligandu, you should just relax and enjoy!