We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Veligandu or Maayafushi for diving/snorkelling?

London, England
1 post
Save Topic
Veligandu or Maayafushi for diving/snorkelling?

Me and my partner are going to the Maldives on late january. We are Advanced Open Water, but not a lot of experience with drift dives. We've heard very good things from both Veligandu and Maayafushi resorts. We're planning to stay in a water vila. Our main interests are diving, snorkelling and relaxing on the beach/sun. So here go the questions:

1. Which house reef is better?

2. is the diving in Maayafushi more diverse and "easy" (i.e. less currents in the thilas); we don't mind mid water currents.

3. Which resort is less noisy? (I know italians dominate Maayafushi and they're usually quite loud, we're spanish, like partying too, but not in the Maldives!).

4. Water vila/bungalow: better in Veligandu than Maayafushi?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers

jose & violeta

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Veligandu or Maayafushi for diving/snorkelling?

Hi Jose & Violeta

Just a thought we have booked Veligandu for Feb and only just got in and we booked back in June, someone else wanted feb and had to go in march instead because the island was fully booked, this might make the decsion for you !

regards susie

Cheshire
Level Contributor
110 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Veligandu or Maayafushi for diving/snorkelling?

Jose,

If you want some more info on Maayafushi, I run a non profit unofficial website about the resort.

If you require anymore info please fee free to contact me.

Regards,

Martin.

www.maayafushi.co.uk

Modena, Italy
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Veligandu or Maayafushi for diving/snorkelling?

I do not know if this reply is to late.

We have not been to Maayafushi, however, thought that the snorkelling at Veligandu was average. The currents were quite strong and the sea life not as varied as we had previously encountered. There was quite a bit of dead coral, although some areas of new coral forming which was attractive. We did see shark but no turtles, altough others at the resort had seen them.

Regarding the resort we found it had quite a busy feel about it especially in the restaurant area.

Have you thought about Makunudu which we peferred for both snorkelling and as a result overall. There are fewer rooms and it has a really intimate feel about it. The all inclusive option was also more 'inclusive' and included free snorkle hire.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,913 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Veligandu or Maayafushi for diving/snorkelling?

maayafushi is located next to the legendary maaya thila , which is among the most famous dive spots in the world .. i have found it easy to dive and absolutely mindbogling .

there are many divespots around maaya of various degrees of difficulty. the dive staff will be happy to let you know which are appropriate for you .

lancashire
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Veligandu or Maayafushi for diving/snorkelling?

Hi Jose & Violeta

Just a thought we have booked Veligandu for Feb and only just got in and we booked back in June, someone else wanted feb and had to go in march instead because the island was fully booked, this might make the decsion for you !

regards

We wanted Fed and could only get in for March at Veligandu , so you will be lucky for Jan ,,,,,,,,,,,we booked @ June/July ,,, still cant wait to go our 1st trip ,,,,,,

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,913 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Veligandu or Maayafushi for diving/snorkelling?

wasso .. i just assumed they meant jan in 08 .. i can't believe there would be an opening on either island for this coming jan . that would have to be a serious stroke of luck for scooting in someone's cancellation at just the right moment .

7. Re: Veligandu or Maayafushi for diving/snorkelling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 22:18
Get answers to your questions about North Ari Atoll
Recent Conversations