We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May/June Weather

Guildford, UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
May/June Weather

We're returning to Vilamendhoo and have booked a week there beginning May 25...I fear that we're running in to Monsoon season...has anyone else been at this time of year? What was the diving like? How much rain/sunshine was there? Have we made an expensive mistake?!?

London, United...
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May/June Weather

We've been twice in May and had better weather than December which should be into the "dry" season. The first time we went we had one or two short showers (no more than 10 minutes each) and one day of miserable drizzly weather. The second time we had no rain at all. We're going again this May - slightly earlier than you as we travel back on the 27th, but we're not worried. My husband said there was more plankton in the water in May than December, both otherwise the diving conditions were great as always.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May/June Weather

Hi ecallaghan,

You are going in the south west monsoon, which does bring with it a lot more rain generally at night, the average sunshine drops from around 10 hrs per day to around 8hrs but this is just averages. The previous 10 years weather suggests that the monsoon period is shifting slightly which is why there is more rain seen in Decemeber now than in the past, where as the southwest monsoon is supposed to start on the 17th May for the last few years it has started at the beginning of may. usually at the change over period you see 2 weeks of heavy rain followed by doldrums which gives good weather.

In the southwest monsoon the weather cycle goes in 2 week cycles (rain or no rain) so it is more of a gamble if you are only going for 1 week.

Diving all depends on the situation of the island, in the southwest monsoon you get good visability on the west edge of the atoll and lots of plankton on the east edge and vice versa in the northwest monsoon.

The unique thing about vilamendhoo is its position, it has a 900 metre reef edge (lagest in Maldives) which runs parallel to the atoll, so for this reason you get great diving in both seasons on the house reef, either one side or the other bringing with it Pelagics on one side and great drift diving the other, also worth noting is the first month following the change of monsoon bring with it the fastest currents so if you are an experienced diver it will be good.

Looking at the date you are going, it will be worth tracking the start of the monsson to determin your weather, if running up to your holiday it is stormy than the chances are you will have great weather, check the following link for good tracking and info:-

http://www.meteorology.gov.mv/

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tim

Guildford, UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May/June Weather

superb advice/comments! Thanks everyone. Fingers crossed!!

surrey
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: May/June Weather

emu72

now that is a very good reply .

thankyou

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May/June Weather

Thanks!

I have to say i'm a bit of a 'freak' when it comes to weather patterns and the Maldives, having been caught with bad weather myself i was interested to learn more about the complex weather of the Maldives.

One other point, whatever season we travel in the Maldives, the local dive guides know the best spots for diving for good visability & pelagics (mantas, whale sharks etc) and which part of the atolls to go to at that time.

Thanks again for the comments.

Regards

Tim

Guildford, UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May/June Weather

Tim

I may revisit your advice at the start of May and see if I have to pick your brains again.

Cheers

Ed

7. Re: May/June Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll