We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Sun Island woohoo...questions

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Sun Island woohoo...questions

Hi all

Have just booked today arriving 22nd April Sun Island Resort & Spa for 2 weeks. Is there anything you would deem necessary that we should know? We have never been to the Maldives before.We are flying Monarch and taking the sea plane transfer.I did hear that ur luggage follows a couple hours after you arrive on the island so my question is...is that correct? therefore obviously we need the basic/swimwear/flip flops/sarong etc.

Usually fly virgin but at this short notice they had no good flights etc so we booked with Thomas Cook/Tradewinds holidays flying Monarch airlines and there are no premium seats left...arrggghh!

Another worry is the 20kg luggage as I have always packed too much before I have to be real careful. Is it really really chilled out as I hope it is regard clothing, can I just take say 3 pairs flip flops, few bikini's /sarongs and few thin dresses and be ok?

Not so worried about my partner as he is ok with few t shirts and shorts but u know how it is if any of u r girls reading this....we always usually pack too much don't we?

Can't wait for this holiday as really need it due to lots of not so good things happening so far this year so this is a chance to really chill out...I really can't be bothered to think about shoes and outfits and stuff. (Can't beleive I'm saying that tho)

Any info greatly welcome

Thx

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Sun Island woohoo...questions

Why do you need 3 pairs pof flops is enough as your in bare feet most of the time Sorry about Monarrrrrrgh, but youl get over it, what you say clothes wise is great, pack then take half out, chill is the deal nothing to think about nothing to do , need Dollars for tips,, lots and lots of lotions high factor i kid you not, youl love it --need more just ask, enjoy.

Rumps

London, United...
Level Contributor
653 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Sun Island woohoo...questions

.........hi there, lucky you going to Sun Island, we all went last April for my birthday, our first time to Maldives too, went with our two teenage daughters so plenty for them to do (if they wanted too..!),,, and we just chilled out etc...!!

No you do not need loads of clothes, swimwear yes of course, but you need to cover up to go into the Restaurants, and rightly so..!!

If you just want to chill and cant be bothered to think about shoes, outfits and 'stuff', its a perfect holiday then, its still HOT whatever rain or sun (we were lucky had no rain, but our last day was cloudy and still managed to get burned), take plenty of HIGH sun factor and High LIP BALM protection, i forgot and got the dreaded cold sores, absolutely covered in them i was, horrid and painful..!! Anyway, sounds like you deserve a good break, so go and enjoy, chill and take what you have suggested ONLY, have fun hire bikes, read the reviews, and if you want anything else, just ask,,!! Luv the DmM x x

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Sun Island woohoo...questions

pack light, replace clothes with sun protection.hairdryers in room so ditch that too.Luggage goes with you on the seaplane

no probs

cfc

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Sun Island woohoo...questions

Thanks all of you for your replies...regard sun tan lotion...I have always in the past packed loads of it and loads of toiletries as I never know what is going to be available in the resort.Last holiday I ended up paying for excess bagagge but I have learned my lesson so should I buy a bucket load of sun cream duty free thus avoiding the extra weight at check in or should I leave until at the resort? I do get thru a lot of it as am constantly applying it so don't want to risk not having a good one...what do u think?

It will be my birthday also whilst there and am really getting excited as we booked this holiday at short notice.

I am even going to buy us both a new suitcase each (a small one) then I have no choice but to pack light.

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Sun Island woohoo...questions

tell the resort in advance about your celebration and im sure you will get a cake or wine

cfc

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Sun Island woohoo...questions

Get your suntan lotion here, and pack in suitcase. It's expensive in resort. Boots normally have good offers, there own brand is very good and we always take it to Sun Island.

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Sun Island woohoo...questions

Thank you, I was just thinking about the weight that's all...

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Sun Island woohoo...questions

You should have either 1/2 suitcase each or 1 between you. Weight should not be an issue. It is not a dressie resort, it's casual and relaxed. As someone said, pack, then take half of it out!!!

surrey
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Sun Island woohoo...questions

let us all know how you get on when you get back,and have a good one

liverpool
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Sun Island woohoo...questions

I too am going to Sun Island for the first time in June. I've been advised to pack very light which will be difficult as I always over pack. Usually bring home a case full of unworn clothes!! I've been advised to take just swimming suits and sarongs for the day and thin cotton dresses for the night. Beach shoes for the day and flat shoes for the evening (dressy ones). Take T shirts to swim in too.

I would imagine that the deals on the sun lotions would be the same at Boots at the airport as the high street so if suitcase weight is an issue I'd get it at the airport. Get factor 50!!!!

I too am celebrating my birthday when I'm there so let me know how it was for you. I've heard that they go to a lot of trouble.

Most of all, enjoy yourselves. Chill out, rest and recuperate.

Looking forward to your review when you get back.

Happy holiday.

Kim

Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll