We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vilamendhoo

sussex
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Topic
vilamendhoo

just had to say after a nice hol in dom rep i could not wait to get home and book 2 weeks in the maldives in march , after much faffing about i chose vilamendhoo , the daft thing is i am on here most nights and cant wait , also can someone tell me i have ,booked a good time of year, booked a natural island , with no pool , no rooms on stilts , somewhere we have to get to by seaplane , and somewhere with a good housereef , oh by the way this will be the wife and mines 1st hol to the maldives(most exotic before is stlucia and dom rep) and our 1st hol without our kids (alone) since 1989 , by the way we stayed in dreams punta cana dom rep and it was good but i am sure vilamendhoo will make it look like butlins!, feedback please

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vilamendhoo

Hi

Welcome to the forum. Vilamendhoo is a great island, the snorkeling is excellent and so is the diving, march is a good time although with the weather being so unpredictable all over the world at the moment there are no guarentees, it is a 25 min seaplane ride which will take you breath away ( have your camera handy) you will enjoy it i am sure

regards susie

sussex
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: vilamendhoo

thanks susie,

i really cannot wait for this holiday , so looking forward to the snorkeling , what are the most exotic species i can expect to see just off the house reef?

i read on here somewhere that someone had seen whalesharks and mantas within 50 metres of the shore wow!,

chris

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vilamendhoo

Hi ideyboy,

you will be very very lucky to see whalesharks and mantas at Vilamendhoo house reef at your time of travel, the NE monsoon Dec-Apr and location of the resort means you will have currents flowing through the channels from east to west - the opposite end of the atoll will ahve the whalesharks etc so if staying at Mirihi or Rangali there are more sightings, this said your islands dive centre will know where to find said pelagics.

fish life compared with dom rep/st lucia is x 10 amount of fish with outstanding visability.

Hope you enjoy!!!

sussex
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: vilamendhoo

hi emu,

funny thing is i only live a few miles from brighton and my son plays for the youth team (up the albion), i am not fussed if i dont see mantas or whale sharks , to be honest if i saw a whale shark i think i would probabaly sh:@=t myself, but i am looking forward to the colours of the reef and fish , i did snorkel near the pitons in st lucia , that was pretty good , drop off , coral ect but hopefully not a patch on vilamendhoo, by the way emu what is your fav island , what month and why is it your fav,

chris

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vilamendhoo

Hi Chris,

LOL - I'm not a fan but do follow Brighton, wish they would hurry up with plans for Falmer!! The old site is now such a waste as a car park for burger king/dfs!

Any time is good in the Maldives, but I have been unlucky with weather during the SW Monsoon May-Nov so personally like Feb/Mar/Apr (Dec too expensive & Jan tends to be a bit windy - great for kite/wind surfing - but gets a bit much if your room is on the wrong part of an island).

Best resort is tied between Mirihi & Ihuru. But all are great for different reasons!

Regards

Emu

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vilamendhoo

Hi Chris,

I too have booked Vila for March and like you this is our first holiday to the Maldives and without my daughter (it is going to be very strange). I was faffing with a capitol F! Choosing was a nightmare for me, I eventually chose Vila for the same reasons as you - Seaplane transfer, natural island with no pool and upmarket water bungalows, affordable and above all a good house reef. It seems the accommodation is a little tired but more importantly spotlessly clean - the reviews helped me choose this island above all the others because of the positive reviews. Just make sure that you have booked a superior room not a standard room as these apparently are not good.

What date in March are you arriving?

Cat.

sussex
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: vilamendhoo

hi cat ,

we are heading to vila on the 8th of march, have to meet up if your around at the same time maybe,

chris

A Southerner in...
Level Contributor
30 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vilamendhoo

I am going to Vilamendhoo in March 09. If you look at the Eurodivers website for Vilamendhoo they say their manta season is from Dec to the end of April... so I'm hopeful!

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vilamendhoo

Good news - we went to Vila in March 2004 for our first Maldives trip - and it's a yes to All your main questions re. unspoilt island, great snorkelling etc etc.

... AND - I must be a lucky bunny or something - but I most certainly did swim alongside (and just above) a ray one day as I snorkelled. If I had stretched out my arm I could have touched him (or her?) and I stayed with him for about 30 seconds or so before he looked up at me and I scarpered. It was the best experience of the trip apart from the seaplane. What a priviledge.

You will be smitten and I bet anything you like you will return to the Maldives.

Wid

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: vilamendhoo

Chris, we leave as you arrive as we arrive on Vila on the 1st March and are spending our second week on the atoll explorer - Vila sounds so beautiful, we'll probably hate to leave!

Wid, I have planned this holiday as a 'one off' holiday of a lifetime and I do like to go somewhere different everytime I travel - but it does seem that there is a kind of spell when you visit the Maldives - you have to go back! I just hope that if I fall under this spell that I can afford it as the forums suggest that the prices are creeping up and up every year? from what I understand Vila is to have a refurb in 2010 so does that mean they will also charge 5* prices? I am glad I am going while I can and am certainly going to make the most of it!

Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll