We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plastic bags

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Plastic bags

I just wanted people to know new and old visitors to the Maldives, / as we use plastic bags a lot in our everyday life.

We wrap things in them ( first to spot an Neto bag stinks) lol, No on a serious note , please be wary of how you dispose of them, Last time in June on Meed i was forever fishing them out of the sea,

A Turtles staple diet is Jelly-fish and when in the water a plastic bag looks very much like a jelly fish well to a Turtle it does.

So i ask please safeley dispose of your plastic bags as they are the biggest KILLER of Turtles.

Sorry for ranting but its a serious issue.

Rumpole

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,149 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plastic bags

very valid point Rumps.

Last year in the Maldives(biyadhoo) when it was environment aware day,all the divers were asked and did a clean up on the house reef, with all divers bringing up at least half a sack or more of rubbish from the reef, also staff and some of the snorkellers did the same.

Like you I have come up from dives and snorkels with Plastic bags,fishing line in my pockets. The worst I saw was a mattress cover floating on a reef, recovered it to the boat, only to find that the boat captain threw it back into the water once we had moored up back at our hotel.So whilst holiday makers need to be educated so do the locals.

Another one is Smokers(of which I am one) who chuck their fag ends off boats into the water or into the sand on beach. They take a long time as in years to bio-degrade.

Sg

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plastic bags

Thank you for reminding people of this serious point.

Ever since we first went to the Maldives we have made a point of taking all our rubbish home with us. I always pack a couple of bin liners and put all the dirty washing and empty plastic bottles in them for the trip home. We have better facilities for disposal/recycling and the temptation to dispose of waste in the sea is taken away, at least for OUR stuff. I hate to see man-made rubbish washed up on the beach (or dog-ends in the sand) and since I get up early I sometimes do. Not necessarily even from the Maldives - it's a big ocean out there.

On visiting an inhabited island once I was really shocked to see the local men were sitting around at the beach end of the jetty drinking coke etc and the shallows were littered with cans. England is a filthy place strewn with rubbish (and I'm not for a moment saying we should accept that as it's disgusting) but who could litter such a beautiful place and put their whole economy and wildlife in danger?

I worry enough about the CONTENTS of all those bottles multiplied by all the dozens of resorts - hair products, laundry detergents, shower gels and sun lotions - not to mention the effects on the sealife of hormones in contraceptive pills etc, all going into the sea.

Think before you use, and think before you dispose please (although obviously keep taking those pills!).

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plastic bags

Rumps

Excellent topic and great that you bring it to everyone's attention.

As mentioned by other posters, empty plastic bottles are a real pain in the proverbial. When I was last at Biyadhoo I was forever picking them up off the beach. They didn't come from Biyadhoo so I guess the live aboard dive boats were responsible?

OD

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plastic bags

Hi Everyone,

Yep its the little things that count, whatever i bring with me --i also take home, most of the rubbish on the islands is burnt, no landfills in the Maldives.This can be linked to How much luggage to take, you brought it so take it home--Its not a lot to ask. Just needs a little thought and consideration.

Also when on the islands challenge those that do drop litter and also when out snorkeling / diving it dosnt take much to pick it up and pocket it until back on land, the same goes when walking around the islands pick it up put it in the bin.After-all the islands wont be there much longer so lets keep them as nice as they are.

R

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plastic bags

Hi Rumps,

Great topic, I am all for clean up operations/coral conservation, BUT... the Maldives reefs are doomed, every island with Water Bungalows affects the natural flow of the sea around the island which affects coral growth which affects fish life...the list goes on!!

And that is even before one fag butt/carrier bag/bottle is thrown into the sea by US! the tourist

Unfortunately this is the World we live in today and in 10 yrs the Maldives will be just another sad example of poor management within each resort/poor government and poor tourist for not doing enough.

Each tourist can do their bit but it's the Maldivian government that need to take a look... if they want tourism to continue then....

STOP producing top end fancy resorts - they totally ****ing ruin what the Maldives is all about.

Here is an example of what every resort island should be doing to save this amazing place:-

globalcoral.org/…20BEACH.htm

http://www.innermaldives.com/protection.html

That's me off my soapbox!

Regards

Emu

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plastic bags

All very valid points, of which like most of us, i try to take on board as best i am able,and sort of reminds me of another Tale some Years ago !!

She who must be obeyed is a fantastic Lady ( has to be putting up with me ) anyway when on Full Moon Island, she asked me to take a look at what appeared to be (bless) a Sea Cucumber ( at this point Lifesaver starts to giggle ) when i got off my Day Bed all was not as 1st appeared.

Anybody who has seen Kevin and Perry go large in Ibiza will know what is coming next, yep you guessed it, it was a Bloody Great long Turd of the Human kind if only Rumps it HAD been a Plastic Bag,i could of then picked the Dam thing up.

To cut a long Story Short after viewing above said Turd,She then insisted we move to the other side of the Island as , and this is mildly funny (BLOKES ONLY WILL UNDERSTAND THIS ) the Water on this side is now Dirty !!!

Rumps do you think what i saw was possibly the remains of a Turtle Head by any chance ???? ROTFLOLOLOLOLOL

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plastic bags

Totally with you on your "STOP" paragraph, Emu. The more TVs and piping hot water provided the more energy required and the more water bungalows the more beach damage.

The resorts never seemed to have beach erosion when the small and plain rooms were hidden in the undergrowth and there was shower water (no baths) the temperature it came out of the storage tank! No coffee makers and Jacuzzis and power showers and no provisions other than candles (in case of power cuts), soap, bog roll and a flask of water. No luxury toiletries flown in from other continents. (I don't know about most people but I always take my own anyway - just because something has a fancy name doesn't mean I will like it.) I unplug the 'phone - I don't wish to use it and don't want anyone ringing me and don't want a TV.

If any resort developer is reading this please take note!

London, England
Level Contributor
183 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plastic bags

Excellent thread - totally agree. Very serious issue, spread the word as Rumpole says!

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,790 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plastic bags

My Swiss friends(whom I mentioned in my review) were each given a bag by the airline they travelled with to bring back everything they used on the island(and would normally dispose of) This included ALL their plastic water bottles which they flattened first before packing.I think their airline was called Eidlewiess (or something like that!) That's a huge conservation effort as far as I am concerned. One thing Mummy Swiss did note was that one of the people from the dive school carelessly discarded their cigarette end on the beach near the waters edge.(and how often does he do that?) Apparantly this is very bad for wildlife should it be ingested....people in glasshouses???? etc.

Woody x

P.S. I even felt bad about all the water I used in the bathroom - where does all the waste go and what's it doing to the environment?

Good forum topic Rumpole - well done!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plastic bags

Good thread Rumps

As others have said we always picked up anything we saw washed up on the beach, it was surprising to us how many walked past it though.

Most of the stuff we saw was clearly from the local inhabited island – the locals have as much responsibility (if not more) than the tourists. There is always the danger that some tourists would think that if the locals can’t be bothered looking after the place - why should we take all our plastic bottles etc. home with us.

Ian

Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll