We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives getting more expensive?

Dorset
Level Contributor
954 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Maldives getting more expensive?

We're looking to return at the end of next year and are being quoted almost 20% more by agents than we paid this spring. Does this seem right or are we missing something?

Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldives getting more expensive?

Yep .... prices are increasing every year to the point that I can no longer afford to take my family to the Maldives any more.

In April 2006 years ago I paid £3200 for a week on Meeru & a week on Bandos for 2 adults & 2 children in one room on B&B .

This years quote is coming in at a whopping £7200.

Thailand ..... here I come.

england
Level Contributor
125 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldives getting more expensive?

pound gets weaker from £1.98 to £1.34 V the $ over last few years the cost must go up,good for the Germans when the Euro was strong not so good now.

Belgium
Level Contributor
70 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldives getting more expensive?

IT IS definitely more expensive. 20 to 25% higher for Feb/March 2011 compared to this year. Am looking at prices since two weeks now and my husband and I have to admit that this will probably be our last time to the Maldives. What a pity.

Someone says : Thailand. Is it in any way comparable as far as snorkelling is concerned? If so where in Thailand should we go? We were there in 1992 on a round trip and never thought about anything else but travelling and a the end of the trip we took a few days in Puket but we didn't like it that much. Tell me.

UK
Level Contributor
618 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldives getting more expensive?

Perhaps you could consider tryng a cheaper island or a cheaper time of the year. We went to Fihalhohi in May this year and found it to be cheap "£900 for weeks full board each and very good. OK it is not 5 star but it is a very acceptable standard with an outstanding reef. Personally, I would rather spend my £900 here than a week in Cuba or Dom Rep or Egypt at another time of the year.

I am sure you all know what you want from a holiday and a cheaper island might not do it for you - but it just might be worth a try if you can get the right price.

UK
Level Contributor
618 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maldives getting more expensive?

That should read £900 for 2 weeks FB - sorry

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maldives getting more expensive?

I am a regular to Thailand but thought we would go to the Maldives for a few days after spending Easter in Sri Lanka. I cannot believe the prices. It looks like we have to spend well over $4000 for 4 days. I could spend 2 weeks in a 5 star resort in Thailand for this amount.

However I am presuming that the Maldives has far superior coral and beaches - perhaps I am wrong.

We have also been to Fiji several times - anyone been to Fiji and the Maldives? How do the two compare?

Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maldives getting more expensive?

I have to agree with caznbaz, the only way we could probably afford the Maldives now is to go off season & last minute but without the children (now aged 11 & 13). The weather is a risk factor but still the cheapest option.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maldives getting more expensive?

Lucie, try Egypt for snorkling, Red Sea, can't beat it!!!

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maldives getting more expensive?

While I love the resorts that I have been to there is no way I can justify the money that they are asking, but it seems that there are plenty of people who are paying the big money.

Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maldives getting more expensive?

Agree with Rousey about Egypt. It's not the Maldives but Taba (Egypt) is a good cheaper alternative & the snorkeling & diving is very good.

Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll