We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anywhere else in the world compare? Help needed!

Northampton, England
Level Contributor
117 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Does anywhere else in the world compare? Help needed!

We're trying to plan our next holiday and just wondered if anyone who has been to the maldives can recommend anywhere else in the world for a similiar type of holiday. We are considering the Seychelles, Aruba, St. Lucia and some smaller caribbean islands like Grenada. If anybody has been to these or similiar and could comment on similiarities and differences then that would be a big help. We are particulary intrested in the snorkelling / diving angle but also the peace and tranquility.

We went to Mirihi in which only has 36 rooms so was very small and had an amazing house reef too.

Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anywhere else in the world compare? Help needed!

Sorry, but their honestly is no point in looking anywhere else. We've tried, believe me we've tried, to find somewhere that comes even remotely close to the Maldives in terms of tranquillity and relaxation, but we have failed dismally. We've been to several different islands in the Carribean, including Aruba, and whilst each has it's own particular charm, none actually came close to the Maldives. Snorkelling isn't a patch on the Maldives and although we loved each experience, it just wasn't the same. We've looked at Mauritius and the Seychelles, but again, the ambience just doesn't seem right.

The one place I WOULD love to try and that I think might possibly come close, is Bora Bora. But that will have to wait until we win the Lottery! In the meantime, we save like mad for our yearly (no longer biannualy because of soaring prices) Maldives fix. It's simply addictive I'm afraid.

SL

Edited: 21 February 2011, 20:33
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
604 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anywhere else in the world compare? Help needed!

I would consider Bequia which is an island of St Vincent and Grenadines chain.

It is beautiful and unspoilt and accomodation is reasonably priced.

I am going there in November as I am getting jaded with maldives prices and lack of a broader holiday experience. The rstaurants, diving etc are grat and varied.

London
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anywhere else in the world compare? Help needed!

Some of the islands off Belize are about the closest I have found (but there are only a few).

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anywhere else in the world compare? Help needed!

HI NIcegirl

I think you highlighted the problem in your post:

snorkelling/diving

peace and tranquility.

Thus far, Mrs D and I haven't found anywhere to compare with the Maldives. We've been to Sri Lanka and to the Caribbean a few times - Barbados, Tobago, Aruba - enjoyed them all but not a patch on the Maldives for the things you highlight. We do keep looking at other places but always we keep coming back to the Maldives.

As you have already been to Mirihi - top of our list of islands to visit - I imagine you will find your task even harder.

OD

Faringdon, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anywhere else in the world compare? Help needed!

All of the above say it all.. We have been to Aruba, which was a fantastic holiday but very Americanised. We went to Maldives 2 years ago as a "one off", went back to a different island last year as another "one off" and, guess where we are going on 7th April!!!!! Yes, Villamendhu here we come!!

When we got home last year, we looked at Bermuda, Carribean, Oman etc, etc, but, nothing will ever compare to the Maldives.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anywhere else in the world compare? Help needed!

Try somewhere like Descroches in Seychelles

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anywhere else in the world compare? Help needed!

Phi Phi islands in Thailand?

I love the Maldives but they're sometimes a bit short on scenery above water. I think Bora Bora would be the ideal, with the mountains and the reef.

staffordshire UK
Level Contributor
456 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does anywhere else in the world compare? Help needed!

peace and tranquility then the only place to beat the maldives so far was a yurt with no facilties ie water,electricity on a remote beach in the sea of cortez, .getting there was hard but well worth it, 3 hours flight by cessna from san diego then a 50 min boat ride, but we got whale sharks (daily), dolphins sealions sperm whale and a fin whale

australia
Level Contributor
561 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does anywhere else in the world compare? Help needed!

Bora bora is absolutely amazing but we found it not as tranquil as the Maldives and found bora bora very very expensive! A trip I will never forget! Bora bora setting is breath taking with the mountains - something I will never forget! We just found it a bit pretentious ! Will only go back if I get an amazing deal or win the lottery!!

Another great place is aitutaki lagoon at the cook islands! Such a relaxing beautiful place! Will go back there one day!

Definitely worth going to both of the places above but my favorite is still the Maldives!

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does anywhere else in the world compare? Help needed!

I have always had my eye on Palm Island (St Vincent and the Grenadines) Not been myself. The rooms look a little rustic for the $$$'s

I think DeneBebbo, from this forum has been, maybe they could do a comparison?

Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll