We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transfer to Lux Maldives resort

Bratislava
3 posts
Save Topic
transfer to Lux Maldives resort

hi all

we are going to Lux in few days (Oct/Nov) for our 7 day holiday, we do have two options to transfer from Mahe- either direct hydroplan flight or domestic flight to some neighbourgh island and then speeedboat transfer from there, not sure how long drive it can be. we do have 3 y old son so Iam not sure what option to choose. we land 9am to Mahe. Any advice? Thanks

Adrian

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transfer to Lux Maldives resort

Hi

Normally your resort island arranges your transfers for you, so I'm a little surprised that this still hasn't been finalised at this late stage. I don't honestly think there is a lot to choose between the two options, so cost may be your deciding factor. The seaplane is very noisy and can be hot and stuffy, but is a wonderful experience with amazing views. I would imagine that the domestic flight will be much shorter than the seaplane, as seaplanes often stop off at other islands to drop off and pick up passengers en route . It's only about 5 miles from the domestic airport to Lux, so it would probably take about 10 mins by speedboat. But as I say, I've no idea of the difference in cost, so this is something to look at carefully.

SL

Edited: 26 October 2013, 15:34
Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transfer to Lux Maldives resort

Check at maldivianaero website the flight timetables for our dates, and remember than though you arrive at 09:00, you may need 1 hour or more for passport control and suitcases. Then decide if domestic flight timetables are good for you, if they aren't choose the seaplane...

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transfer to Lux Maldives resort

Maria is right, it will depend on flight timings of course, but I'm afraid I can't find the timetable on line. It's Flyme that operate the route from Male to Maamigili. Hopefully someone else can find the timings for you.

SL

Mentioned in this post
Maamigili
Maamigili
Southern Ari Atoll
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transfer to Lux Maldives resort

Hi

Found it!

www.macl.aero/plus/S_FLIGHT_INFORMATION/2/1

You'll need to download the timetable. There are about 5 flights a day, duration 20 mins. Look for MLE to VME on the flyme timetable.

SL

Edited: 26 October 2013, 16:29
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
630 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transfer to Lux Maldives resort

I went to Lux in February and we just got the seaplane,only took about 25 minutes max. I have never heard of anyone going to Lux via internal flight,doesn't seem far enough away to warrant it.

Sure you will have a wonderful time though however you choose to get there, my sister and I loved it.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transfer to Lux Maldives resort

The good thing about the domestic flights is that timetables are fixed and you know exactly (more or less in advance), when you'll travel to the island, so if you don't have to wait for a lot of hours it's a good option...

Bratislava
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: transfer to Lux Maldives resort

Dear friends,

thank you for your comments, and effort to help:) fantastic:)

Lux provide both options now, apparently the combination of domestic flight and short speedboat trip was recently introduced however for additional fee (USD100/per adult and USD75/per child) seaplane direct flight is also available.

My arrival is 9.30AM, but based on advised timetable it is not clear to me when is connecting departure from MLE to VAM, it seems 11AM??

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transfer to Lux Maldives resort

Yes, that's what I thought it would be, which is pretty good. By the time you have cleared immigration you won't have long to wait for your domestic flight, and at least you know what time you will be departing. As said above, you can wait anything from just 1/2 hour to 3 hours or more for a seaplane, as you may have to wait for additional incoming International flights. The costs quoted for the domestic flight option seem very reasonable in the circumstances.

SL

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transfer to Lux Maldives resort

I honestly don't think 90 minutes is enough time between the two flights, not by the time you disembark, queue forever and then get luggage and re-check in. I would anticipate getting a later flight and then if you make the earlier one it's a bonus!

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,247 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transfer to Lux Maldives resort

I also thought it didn't seem very long....but then I've not done a domestic transfer. Do you have to collect your cases and check them in again for this?

Edited: 26 October 2013, 21:36
Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll
Recent Conversations