We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Island, spends

Cheshire
Level Contributor
447 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Sun Island, spends

Hello everyone, I have been reading all your comments with great interest. We (3 adults) are going to Sun island next April for 2 weeks and I couldn't get AI. we are going FB. Do you think that £1,000 will be enough for spends on drinks etc. (I don't include the diving or trips etc) Or do you think I would be able to get AI when we arrive at the resort, as First Choice says it is NOT available for the holiday we are having from them. In the brochure if you upgrade to AI (if you can) it's £24 each person each day, that comes to around £1,000 I don't think we could drink that much in 2 weeks no matter how much we tried!! This is a special holiday and we are flying Premuin Class and having a Superior Bungalow. I have even requested bungalow 178 because someone said it was the best!! I do hope we have a good time, so if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful. When we went to Egypt we put everything on the room account and then at the end of each week I paid the account, do you think that would be a good idea?

Thanks

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun Island, spends

Hi, its my view that you should go AI. That way you dont have to worry about going over budget.You should be able to change your package when you get to Sun but it may prove more expensive.If your travel company cant offer AI ,then i suggest you change to someone like Thomas Cook.

As far as rooms go, ive never been let down by the position,its a lovely island all over !!

cfc.

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun Island, spends

forgot to say that i think you would be very surprised how the bill will mount on a daily basis and that buying drinks as you go could prove the costly option.

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun Island, spends

Hi piggywinkle

I went to sun last nov had a great time,we were AI so difficult to answer your question but from your workings out i would think that would be ok having said that there is a sun iskand fan club here :) and i am sure they will be able to give you a more detailed answer

susie

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun Island, spends

You may be able to upgrade to AI once at the resort if you ask. You can email the resort itself and ask how much it is to upgrade to AI. Everything is put on your account and you settle up at the end of your holiday or even as you go along as you wish or even just to look at your bill on a weekly basis.

It depends how much you all drink!! Drinks are pretty expensive in the Maldives.

............. activegirl

Lincoln UK
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun Island, spends

Hi

Can't understand why you can't get all inclusive with first choice for next april. We are travelling with first choice next year and have booked all inclusive with them.

I would ask them again to check for you, can't see why they can book AI for one couple and not for another.

Bet your are as excited as we are!!

manchester, UK
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun Island, spends

We have just got back from Sun Island yesterday and no £1,000 will not be enough to spend for 3 of you. The drinks cost a fortune. We went all inclusive but we booked here but you can upgrade to AI once you are there. Everytime you have a drink even AI you have to sign your bill and our bills on average after an afternoon at the pool bar were coming to around $50.00 for 3 of us and that's without alcohol. the soft drinks are just as expensive as the alcoholic drinks. For example a bottle of water at mealtimes costs $3.00. 178 is a good room number close to all the amenities. Premium class is excellent on first choice and well worth it. Just another note on sun island, the mini bar is not AI and costs a fortune and if you have tea or coffee in the morning, regardless of how much you will be charged $2.00 for it to be replenished so what we did (sounds tight I know but when we got there and had a coffee in the mnorning, we put the rest of the coffee sachets and milk and sugar etc into the safe and therefore had coffee for 2 days for $2.00 instead of $2.00 a day, it's worth thinking about. The island itself is fantastic and the staff are second to none and you will have a great time.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun Island, spends

Hi

My wife and I went to Sun Island in April in 2004 and we had a lovely time there. We went for all inclusive and it was great not to have to "worry" about cost of drinks. We also brought our own snorkle gear so we didn't really spend that much money on Sun Island. I have written a trip report from Sun Island. Feel free to get in touch if you want to have a look :-) You have something to look forward to...Sun Island is the best beach destination we have ever been to :-)

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

Cheshire
Level Contributor
447 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun Island, spends

Thank you very much everyone. Sun Island certainly sounds lovely. I ive booked the holiday with Going Places and thye are trying to upgrade us to AI, it does sound strand when First Choice do AI in their brochure, but Going places say we can only go FB. I have emailed the island and they said th contact then 4 weeks before we go to ask for certain rooms, and we can upgrade to AI their, at $35 per person per night, I think that works out about the same as paying First Choice £24..

Anyway thank you all for the advice, I am looking so forward to it already, I have my snorkel and mask packed!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
653 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sun Island, spends

Hi there,

Well can't help you because haven't been to Sun Island YET!!

We are also booked to go next April because i have a special birthday then, we are going AI with a great company called Holidaysplease because we could not get AI with First Choice, BUT

we also managed to get First Choice Premier class for the flight!

Whereas we could only get FB with First Choice.

Seeing as we are taking our two daughters with us, soft drinks etc could amount to quite a lot, not to mention ALL the drinks i will be having to celebrate said special birthday!!

Cant wait have been reading ALL review with earnest (who him?), and the more i read, the more excited i get about going, worst than the kids i think when it comes to holidays!

Yes we have been to Egypt AI but we put other things on room account and everything OK, you can keep an eye on your bill through the television apparently!

We as a family are booked in Deluxe Bungalows we have to have two to accommodate us, but hope to upgrade for my birthday!

I am sure someone out there can help you!!!.....Beachbelle.

London, United...
Level Contributor
653 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sun Island, spends

Hi there,

Well can't help you because haven't been to Sun Island YET!!

We are also booked to go next April because i have a special birthday then, we are going AI with a great company called Holidaysplease because we could not get AI with First Choice, BUT

we also managed to get First Choice Premier class for the flight!

Whereas we could only get FB with First Choice.

Seeing as we are taking our two daughters with us, soft drinks etc could amount to quite a lot, not to mention ALL the drinks i will be having to celebrate said special birthday!!

Cant wait have been reading ALL review with earnest (who him?), and the more i read, the more excited i get about going, worst than the kids i think when it comes to holidays!

Yes we have been to Egypt AI but we put other things on room account and everything OK, you can keep an eye on your bill through the television apparently!

We as a family are booked in Deluxe Bungalows we have to have two to accommodate us, but hope to upgrade for my birthday!

I am sure someone out there can help you!!!.....Beachbelle.

Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll