We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inhabited island of Mahibadhoo

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
inhabited island of Mahibadhoo

Hello there, Goby Lodge or Amazing Novilu. I was wondering if anybody has been staying in one of the lodges of those 2 islands in Southern Ari Atoll. We are about to decide if staying 3 nights in Goby Lodge in Mahibadhoo or in Amazing Novilu.. They both got good rating on TA. specially in they're service. Does anybody knows a bit more about the condition of the lodges, are they newish and clean and near the beach?

we know we can't sun bake in bikini but we can if we go on day trips etc. also lots of excursions can be made and they are cheaper then the resorts.

Is the island very dirty with garbage, broken glass on beach etc? We would like to experience the real Maldives without getting ourselves and our kids in any danger.

And another question please: are insects a lot more aggressive in the inhabited islands? Any efficient mozzie repellent?? October travellers.....AND THANK YOU!

London, United...
Level Contributor
496 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: inhabited island of Mahibadhoo

The Amazing Noviilu is very new and there is another guest house opening soon called Island Reef. The island will not be as pristine as a resort but we never saw any broken glass, I think that the guest houses have been trying to keep the beaches clean. Everything will be cheaper than the resorts.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: inhabited island of Mahibadhoo

Guest houses are new, and they are appealing constantly at new islands... They will be look as new as they seem in pictures, so if that is Ok for you, go ahead...

It is not that insects are more agressive here, the issue is that resorts fumigate twice a day so that there are no or very few mozzies, and they don't do it at local islands, so when I visited one, we were literally eaten by them, so take a good repellent.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: inhabited island of Mahibadhoo

didnt spot the beach but the island was nice enough for a local island but not really geared up for tourists. Being the Atoll capital they have a largish school and a well equipped medical centre/hospital. Nice for an hour guided tour but no way would i want to stay there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
496 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: inhabited island of Mahibadhoo

We have spent a total of two weeks there, had a great time!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: inhabited island of Mahibadhoo

yeah i know that was in Jan 2011 wasnt it. Good football team by all accounts!! ;¬))

London, United...
Level Contributor
496 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: inhabited island of Mahibadhoo

Not us in 2011! It is a good football though.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: inhabited island of Mahibadhoo

Mosquitos won't be more aggressive on inhabited local islands, but as Mariaeugene has said, where resorts fog regularly these islands don't. My advice would be to go completely prepared with repellant as mosquitos can carry dengue fever. This is one of the reasons a local island wouldn't be my choice, particularly if travelling with children.

There have been lots of threads about mosquitos/repellants etc so there will be lots of advice on here which you should definitely check out.

8. Re: inhabited island of Mahibadhoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll