We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon at Sun Island Resort in May 07

stourbridge
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon at Sun Island Resort in May 07

Having read many reviews on this site ( thanks to all) i have decided to go with Sun Island for our honeymoon ( as a secret surprise for my wife to be !) .

Because of work commitments we cannot fly until the 14th May ( for 7 nights) and my only real concern ( apart from having to endure the Monarch flight) is the weather. Although i know there are no guarantees can anyone give me any feedback on what we can typically expect ?

I am trying to make this as special an occasion as possible for her so have booked sea plane transfers, superior deluxe room no 142 ( with possible up-grade to water bungalow for the last 2 nights ), A/I board and, following advice on this site, will be looking to take advantage of the "massage for two ! ". Are there any other "must do" experiences you can recommend for us ?

I will be taking ocean shoes and snorkelling kits ( she is a little suspicious as to why i need her shoe size !) together with MEET spray , SP 30 lotion and aftersun, but is there anything else i will need ( this will all have to fit in my case to keep the secret) ?

Really looking forward to seeing if the reality matches the reviews !!

Thanks to all in advance.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,190 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon at Sun Island Resort in May 07

try bikinis .. i am sure she's lovely , but i doubt they let her go around in nothing but shoes and sunscreen .. even if she wears a dive mask :))

speaking of mask .. you need to find an excuse to get her to pick one out for herself .. nothing like a leaky mask to ruin good snorkeling and the proper size mouthpiece on the snorkel is much more comfortable too .

may.. well ... check here http://www.meteorology.gov.mv/ and click on climate .. you will see what the month of may typically promises .. of course you may get absolutely lucky .

stourbridge
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon at Sun Island Resort in May 07

Thanks Spammie,

Whilst the thought of her in only mask + flippers is appealing she is aware we are going away, just not the destination !! Hopefully she will be packing some clothes in her case.

Take on board your advice re the mask and snorkel , will try and get her eldest daughter ( who is the same size and shape) to do the fitting.

Regards,

Kvnrub

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon at Sun Island Resort in May 07

Hi

My wife and I went to Sun Island in April a couple of years back and it was lovely. We just relaxed on the beach, I played squash a couple of times, we went snorkeling more or less every day (so it was great to have our own equipment) and we also went on a snorkeling trip and on a sunset fishing trip. I have a review with lots of pictures...send me a mail on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you :-) The sun is strong by the way so a snorkeling t-shirt might also be a good idea :-)

Regards

Gard

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon at Sun Island Resort in May 07

Ive stayed in 142 can you look under the bed and see if i left my slippers please mate !!

Must do the thai and must feed the ray !

Must see the bats all day

Must chill out

Must have a fantastic time

Dont need towels,hairdryer or much to wear.

Must be very careful of the sun even on cloudy days.

May want to take some powered milk and tea bags if you like to have a cuppa in bed.

You will enjoy

cfc

Newcastle Upon Tyne...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon at Sun Island Resort in May 07

Hey you maldivian fanatics ;O)

Is the mossy stuff not called DEET?!

Ruthie xx

stourbridge
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon at Sun Island Resort in May 07

Will look for your slippers cfc !!

Thanks to all for the advice so far , duly noted and actioned upon and , yes, i did mean DEET not MEET !!

South Wales
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon at Sun Island Resort in May 07

Hiya Just read your posting and its DEET spray, 'Bens' is very good. I used it last year and - no bites at all!

Enjoy.

N.Wales
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon at Sun Island Resort in May 07

What is DEET spray for? Are ocean shoes needed? Do we need mosquito spray and ant powder?need toget all this info before we go!

Kaggsy

stourbridge
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon at Sun Island Resort in May 07

Hi Kaggsy,

DEET spray is a mosquito repellant for use on the skin and/or clothing ( check concentration level) . ( got mine on line at travelpharm.com)

Ocean shoes have been recommended to me as parts of the island have a sand/coral mix ( got mine off e-bay).

Not heard anything re ants

Hope this helps

Kevin

N.Wales
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon at Sun Island Resort in May 07

Hi kevin,

yes thanks, all info gratefully recieved.

Have read so much about tipping ,what would you consider is reasonable amount for different staff?

kaggsy

Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll