We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling

GA
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling

How is the snorkeling at the Hilton? We want to stay at the best place in the Maldives for snorkeling from the OWB. Is this the place or do you recommend another resort? Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling

Short answer

No this isn't the place.

If you want the best (in my opinion) from a water villa you need to go to Kandoludu Island but Kandoludu is a very small island and you would be giving up many of the positive things about the Hilton. But your question had to do with the best house reef from a water villa. Besides Kandoludu is probably booked forever already.

United States
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling

Sorry I fat fingered the spelling ... Kandolhudoo

United States
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling

A link to pictures.

bilder.maldives.de/Kandolhudoo/index.htm

Click on the first thumbnail and then click each picture to advance to the next one

London
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling

Couldn't comment on other resorts having only stayed at Hilton but from our water villa I saw all kinds of fish of all shapes and sizes, sharks, very large stingrays and on one day we even had 2 dolphins swim right up to the villa.

Hilton also do snorkelling excursions daily to some spectacular reefs for viewing manta rays and turtles.

More than I could have hoped for.

GA
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling

The resort looks great - do they have a website?

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling

Yes.

http://www.hilton.co.uk/maldives

Or you can link there from the dot com site...........

There is a house reef at the Hilton over on the beach bungalow island but the reef edge on the water villa island is a fair way away.

Having said that, I agree with Ry as there is still plenty to see on the coral patches in the shallow side of the lagoon, in addition to what is just generally swimming around. The excursions offered are another option so I doubt you'd be disappointed regarding snorkelling...............but, if you want a water bungalow actually on a reef edge, this isn't it................

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling

Should've posted this first...........

Which resort do you mean? Kandolhudoo or Hilton?

If Hilton read above.............

United States
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling

Hey don't get me wrong ...Im not trying to knock the Hilton.

There are a lot of reasons to stay at the Hilton. I was just answering jeanab's question about an opinion on best house reef. Nothing wrong with the Hilton is just not the same.

Tell you what folks.. Go to this website:

http://www.maldives.at/kandholhudhoo.html

and slide down the page about halfway. Click on the "204 KB (!) great 360° Panorama" and take a look at the reef at this place. The Hilton is nice .. lots of resorts are nice...this one goes beyond nice.

jeanab

Problem with kandholhudhoo is that I don't think there is an English tour company who books it. There are only 10 rooms available on the Island.

Some information about the place in English

paradise-consult.de/Hotels/…preise.htm

If you are interested go to this website

http://www.maldivian.com/

down at the bottom of the page there is a email link for maldivian. My wife and I have used these people a lot and they specialize in the Maldives. Send them an email in english and explain what you are interested in for an island. They read write and speak english quite well and they can book Kandholhudhoo for you if you want and arrange a flight out of the UK or you can do that yourself separately.

I don't get anything from Maldivian by the way ..I'm just suggesting them because I know they do good work and they can deal with you in English. This island is booked pretty much through german agents so you could go to almost any german travel agent. There may be somebody in the UK who books it but I dont know who they are.

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling

No worries skibum..............If the poster is looking for "The best place in the Maldives for snorkeling from the OWB" then this isn't it............It's a bit of a strange question as we are unaware which is most important........The service & standards that the Hilton offers or simply a WV right on a reef........?

Simply put, it's very good at the Hilton but I wouldn't say it's the best in the country for snorkelling straight from the WV's..........

GA
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling

Thank you for your help. Kandholhudhoo does look amazing but it does seem like I might have some trouble communicating with them. Although, snorkeling is our focus so maybe we should give it a try. We are looking for something like we had at Hotel Bora Bora where you can snorkel from your OWB at an amazing reef. Is there any other resort that you can recommend that might be a little more accessible? Thank you again!

Get answers to your questions about Rangali Island