We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater Camera

MC
Level Contributor
382 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Underwater Camera

Hi, I have a question concerning underwater cameras.

Any idea if it is better to take a camera that is already designed to go underwater or if I should take a regular camera with and underwater case? I have a Olympus c5050 and a Canon D50.

I checked for an underwater case for both my cameras, but it is at least $250 !!!

Any ideas? (I like quality)

England
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Underwater Camera

We have just returned from Filitheyo. Bought an underwater case for our Nikon digital camera to take with us - cost £150.00 but felt it was a reasonable option compared to the disposable Kodak underwater cameras that we have used in the past and are rubbish plus the processing of the films and half are no good. At least with the digital you can delete the bad ones. There were guys at the resort who had some very state of the art cameras and computer software etc! Response time is crucial when underwater as there is so much movement. Turn the flash off as it will show up any silt in the water. Although it looks easy it is quite difficult to get a fish in the middle of a shot due to the current, you moving, delay in digital photo taking. Having said that we good some good pictures although the reef colours are no brilliant at Filitheyo - bleached coral and dead coral too.

Wales
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Underwater Camera

We recently bought Fuji Finepix F30 with underwater casing from the dive show in brum a few weeks ago. Our technical knowledge is pretty awful but are really pleased with the results with this camera. There is a built in red filter (for warm waters) when on underwater setting. The only thing we would add would be a strobe as the flash isn't enough once below 7/8 meters in our experience.

Results of our photos with this camera can be round here.

…yahoo.com/jshelb2004/…576460762341654781

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underwater Camera

Hi

I've been thinking about getting the Olympus 720SW. This camera is waterproof down to 3 meters so it should be ideal for going to the beach and snorkeling :-)

We went to Sun Island and only had a disposable camera and the pictures did not turn out well.

Regards

Gard

London, United...
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Underwater Camera

H there. The first time we went we used a disposable, but it was no good at all. Therefore we bought an underwater casing for our Olympus Mju 300. The snorkelling photos are excellent, but when my husband uses it for diving he has to have on it a red filter. We have now bought a digital with underwater settings so that means we do not need special filters. However, that is an expense I wouldn't bother with just for snorkelling. Cost is around £500 for a decent digital designed for underwater. If I were you I would go for the underwater case for one of your cameras. Am I right in thinking that the Canon D50 is an SLR/Auto? If so that would be very bulky in a housing. Therefore the pocket one would be much better. Another thing to watch is that your camera should not be more than 5000 pixels (or is that mega pixels???) - research we have seen says that anything more than that picks up all the plankton so the pics are not as clear.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
422 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Underwater Camera

My husband and I had been looking at the digital Olympus 720SW for many months. He purchased it for me as a birthday present a month ago during our Caribbean vacation. I used for for land and underwater shots and loved it!!!!!! I was not that familiar with it but it does have an underwater setting but the photos I took turned out just fine. Much better than the disposable cameras, plus you can zoom in. Now if only those darn fish would stay in one spot long enough for me to shoot a photo. We paid just a little over $300US.

Only drawback about the camera, is make sure the lense is dry after you use it underwater or you will have waterspots on your photos. I did not notice this until I loaded them into my computer.

MC
Level Contributor
382 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Underwater Camera

hi lizardlover, it seems like a good deal at $300usd but is 10ft deep enough?

What about the picture quality?

lancashire
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Underwater Camera

We just got a 720 just for next years trip , for £160 , not used it underwater yet , but looks quite good for the money ,,, have to wait until march to try it out

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
422 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Underwater Camera

Pitch, it was a good deal so we were happy. If you are going to use it for snorkeling, then you will be fine. If you are a diver, then it probably won't work. I found the picture quality to be very good even in poor visibility situations. We were snorkeling off Guana Island and it was very poor visibility but I got some decent shots of a green sea turtle as it was swimming away.

Another thing about the camera is that for someone with large fingers/hand it might be a bit trickier to use the buttons.

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Underwater Camera

Lizardlover and Wasso ..... can you tell me what the zoom is on the 720SW? I am looking to upgrade my underwater camera and it seems good value for money for the money.................... activegirl

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
422 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Underwater Camera

ActiveGirl,

I found this on the website so I could get an answer to you quickly.

"Get closer to the action with a 3x optical + 5x digital for a 15x total seamless zoom. "

The old 35mm underwater camera that I was using did not have a zoom so I really enjoyed being able to get close up shots of the sea creatures.

Get answers to your questions about Rangali Island