We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives vaccinations

Which Baa Atoll hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
1 post
Save Topic
Maldives vaccinations

Help! Am travelling to Olhuveli in 2 weeks time and had (stupidly) not even given vaccinations a thought until someone mentioned it today. I think it's too late to organise getting them done now - has anyone else travelled to the Maldives without having their vaccinations? We last had vaccinations done 7 years ago prior to travelling to St Lucia.

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Jenny

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldives vaccinations

if you had them done 7 years ago you may still be OK as they tend to be 10 year vaxcinations.

the bigest thing to worry about in the Maldives is Maleria, so organise your tablets--or not, have a word with your practice nurse, or contact by phone or web,--Liverpool school of Tropical Medicine. They have an info line,

Hope this helps.

Rumps

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldives vaccinations

I didn't think Malaria was a problem in the Maldives.....ooops,i could be wrong :-(

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldives vaccinations

Your right pk malarai is not a problem in the maldives rumps is still suffering from jet lag :-)

typhoid and hep A are the main two

regards susie

N.Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldives vaccinations

Hi,

I went to my local Doctor to get my Jabs and he asked why i wanted to get any ???? He has been to the Islands for many a year and to date told me he has never got a jab for anything !!! I had to practically beg him for a up to date tetanus and hepititas jab. Mt Fiancee on the other hand went to her doctor and she got everything going ???

So really im as confused as you ;-)

Mark.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maldives vaccinations

Beg to differ it only takes 1 Mozzie bite and hey thats it,-- the cases of Maleria reported in the Maldives islands have tripled in the last 12 months

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maldives vaccinations

Sorry Rumps - you're wrong on this one. The current medical advice is that Malaria is not an issue in the Maldives and no vaccinations or tablets are necessary. The mossies (and lets face it there are plenty of them!) in the Maldives are not the malaria carrying kind. The only recommended jabs are Typhoid and Hep A.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maldives vaccinations

Hi Jenny

Regarding vaccinations I would suggest you talk to your GP or Practice Nurse for proper health care advice.

Regarding malaria and the maldives, the following is taken from the World Health Organisation website:

"Malaria is not a public health problem in Maldives. There is no indigenous transmission since 1984 and country is maintaining it’s malaria free status in the entire SEA Region. Only few imported cases (from 10 to 30) are being reported every year."

Hope this helps.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maldives vaccinations

Not a problem , i can put my hands up,

Rumps

UK
Level Contributor
239 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maldives vaccinations

Hi Jenny,

We have been going to the Maldives for the last 10yrs and have never had any vaccinations.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Fiona

London, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maldives vaccinations

Hi, we are going in 10 days, and arranged ours on monday and got them done tuesday, the nurse said that was plenty of time. I had jabs to go to Thailand 3yrs ago but still needed the Hep and dip two in one injection, tetnus lasts for 10 years.

I think you should try and arrange, just to be on the safe side.

:)