We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plankton / Visibility in MAY

Which Baa Atoll hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
228 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Plankton / Visibility in MAY

Hey people we are off to Reith beach 2nd May Whooooooooo Hooooooooo 4 weeks to go.

Can anyone tell me what the Visibility (Plankton level) is like in early May as we have never been at this time before?

I understand that around this Baa atoll this time of year Plankton can be very high which is good for active movement of large marine life. But can result in some poor photo/video opportunities.

Any info on this would be much appreciated

I am into underwater photography (hobby) and hoping to get some good video and pictures of manta and rays as they are my passion of the marine wild life. I will be free diving up to 10 meters as will be unable to do any deep diving.

We picked this Island for its good reviews on house reef and recommendations by other visitors. Looking at all the recent reviews looks and sound fantastic for a 3/4 star resort.

Can’t wait

Thanks to anyone that can answer my question

Cheers Mashed

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plankton / Visibility in MAY

Hi Mashed,

From what I can work out the biggest plankton bloom happens between Aug/Sept, it is a bit early in the SW Monsoon (if it has even arrived when you are there??) for there to be too much plankton in the water.

The location of Reethi in the atoll would suggest that you will get days of good vis and days of poor vis, but it will depend on the weather in the area at the time. As you are in the SW Monsoon, the tide/wind is stronger on the Reef side of the island which will also affect visibility.

I travelled there Feb 2008 - there were days with very poor vis and other days that were great, when really we should have had back to back days of good vis.

The good news is that there will be plenty of boat dive sites with manta sightings available for you to photograph. I too like a bit of uw photography - make sure you get off the island for some really good reefs/fishlife, also check out Thiladoo the island opp Reethi's west beach (nearest) and Miladhoo (owned by Four Seasons) it has the best house reef in the region!

Regards

Emu

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plankton / Visibility in MAY

Mashed up ...you should be ok in May .... my opinion from experience is that whilst we go mainly in July the visibility is always great unless there is a bit of a rainstorm!

Although having been in February, which is the best season as you already know for marine life, we did find it full of plankton and we normally find plankton at its highest then.

However, I also find more mantas and rays in February! I think you may just about get away with it in May and have probably chosen the best month considering for your photographic needs.

You'll have fun on Reethi; hopefully you can share your underwater photos with us when you return...

good luck, enjoy and hope you have that elusive "perfect" photo.

..... activegirl

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plankton / Visibility in MAY

Hi AG,

No two islands are the same for plankton blooming and best time to visit.

It will of course depend on what island / reef you mean? Reethi is on the east of the Baa atoll, plankton / good visibility, poor visibility really does depend on the islands location within the atoll and the prevailing tide/ monsoon season of travel.

Regards

Emu

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Plankton / Visibility in MAY

Hi Mashed.....

We arrive at Reethi May 2nd!!! I'll see you there. I'd be interested in your UW photo stuff as Im into it myself somewhat.

I'll be the tall Canadian with the goatee. At least until I start diving, might have to shave some of it off so the dive mask seals under my nose.

:)

london
Level Contributor
228 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plankton / Visibility in MAY

Hi Emu72

Thanks for the information and tips on Thiladoo and Miladhoo will check them I am sure.

Hey Activegirl

Will post some of the better shoots when i get back but have post one at the end of this post for ya.

Thanks for info

Hi CheekyBandito

Not long now.....

Our surname is Rice feel free to leave a message at reception would be nice have a chat over a beer or two with you. I will be the person with the biggest smile on the Island as I am at my happiest when in the Maldives. Don’t think I will be doing any diving that’s why we chose this resort for it house reef. No driving No traffic No Pollution and No Shoes pure heaven.

This was taken on Meedhuparru house reef always make me smile.

Not sure if you can post pictures here if not direct link below

[IMG]http://inlinethumb64.webshots.com/41663/2313751090044556664S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG]

…webshots.com/41663/2313751090044556664S600x…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Plankton / Visibility in MAY

Nice picture. Hope to take lots myself. I've got 8 gigs worth of SD cards to try and fill!!

I'll be on the lookout for you, I guess you arrive on the 3rd?

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plankton / Visibility in MAY

Emu .... you seem to spend a lot of time correcting me on what I reply to others?

...... activegirl

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plankton / Visibility in MAY

AG,

Actually if you read what you wrote straight after my post, it is you who is trying to correct me! similar to the inside page on tipping and etiquette??

When I know that the answer I gave Mashed is the correct one! Whilst your experience of good vis in July is correct (for some islands) - it is not correct for every island as each island has its own set of currents / tides and location within a given atoll - thus affecting visibility.

Reethi's location in the atoll means there is more plankton in the SW Monsoon.

The golden rule of thumb is if the island is located on the east of the atoll vis is (generally) but not always better in the NE Monsoon, and vice versa for the SW Monsoon - the reverse happens for islands on the west of the atoll.

Regards

Emu

london
Level Contributor
228 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plankton / Visibility in MAY

Ops

I thought we went on the 2nd May just checked it’s the 3rd or May and we arrival at Male on the 4th 9am local time, so I guess we be at the resort about 11am. As you will be there before us can we place our drinks order now with you?

Last year I lost 5 gigs of pictures so this year will be taking a small laptop with us. Feel free to bring some discs with you, happy to put on disc for you if you run out of space as I always do when don’t take Laptop.

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plankton / Visibility in MAY

Emu .... You misunderstand me. Whilst my thread was posted independent of your thread, I was just simply replying to Mashedup post.

However, I have read my thread again as you suggested and correct me if I am wrong, where did I dispute what you say? I think you are overanalysing what I say with suspicion. In fact, I did agree what you said about the May plankton. My opinion is based on personal experience (which I think what TA is all about - share your experiences and views, and that what I gave).

My results was based on what Mashedup asked; he/she is snorkelling and free diving as he/she is into underwater photography (and my passion is photography which has now spread into underwater photography (or trying to without too much success!)) and my views are based on that. I have had so many photographs ruined by the plankton (or maybe I have not gained the experience and knowledge to overcome this) - diving is not quite the same as freediving to 10 metres.

Seeing you bought the subject up re tipping and etiquette, I will respond. Again you are suspicious. You PM'd me asking what had changed because you could not see what had altered. I explained to you that I had changed one word due to a spelling error (I can't see what is wrong with that and certainly wasn't as I explained in my PM back to you, aimed to discredit you or to claim that I was the author of the inside page). I also explained that if you click between the two latest versions you could see the highlight where the change had occurred. Anyone can do that, and they can see for themselves that you are the main author, even the inside page was started by someone else, whether they are contributing on the forum or not. Yes, I did correct THE inside page (which is open to all contributors) but I did not correct YOUR inside page. There is a difference and you simply got a bee on your bonnet about it. The inside page is an inside page open to all and no one should be suppressed to add or delete (or in my case to correct a spelling error) just because someone was the author of that inside page. I do not know why you bought up the inside page you PM'd me about as you appeared to accept my explanation. It is clear now that you think (wrongly) I have other intentions. I am happy to call it your inside page, and I resent the fact that you are implying that I am trying to steal your thunder so to speak.

There have been other threads where you seem to imply I was incorrect hence my comment.

Whilst I have no desire start a war between Maldives Experts (that would be a first wouldnt it? lol), I am drawing the line under this here and now, shake hands and say no hard feelings.

......... activegirl