We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito - Reethi Beach

Level Contributor
66 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquito - Reethi Beach

Just packing my luggage for my trip to Reethi next weekend. I have asked before about Mosquitos - I am really concerned i am going to get bitten to death (I react really badly) and so have loaded the suitcase with the recommended SKin So Softly (Green bottle) and various repellents and mossie plug-in. Has anyone been recently and can advise on good prevention of getting bitten?

Many thanks

Widget

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito - Reethi Beach

Hi Widget

Any good repelant with a high content of Deet 50% plus, also take ouderless Garlic tablets 1 per day now and whilst there.

Rumps

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito - Reethi Beach

Not been to Reethi, but I suffer REALLY badly with mossie bites. Last trip I took odourless garlic everyday as well as using high Deet repellant but also got some pills from a homeopath that seemed to stop the bites from blistering and getting infected. I also had far fewer than usual. Next trip I'll take these and the garlic a week before we go as I got less bites in the 2nd week. I'm also going to try the Avon stuff as well. I think you can probably get the homeopthic stuff from a good chemists. I did look it up on line but can't remember what it's called. If I find it again I'll do another post.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito - Reethi Beach

Just found the bag with them in - it says Staph 12c on it. Not sure what that means but they might know in a chemists. Seriously, although I still got bitten, there were nowhere near as many and none of them blistered - normally I'd be scratching like mad and getting very irritable!

UK
Level Contributor
233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito - Reethi Beach

Take cetrizine tablets for 1 to 2 weeks before you go, they lower your histermine levels. I find witch hazel gel works well with the irritation if you are unfortunate enough to get bitten. I blister really badly without even touching the bites and since taking cetrizine I have only been bitten once (in the last 3 or 4 years) and no blistering

bath england
Level Contributor
622 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito - Reethi Beach

Certainly you should use some kind of spray been to Reethi a few times never met a mozzie but you never know, bitten around the ankles a few times particularly at the dinner on the beach itched like hell told they were sand fly bites?, so keep your feet off the floor. If you react badly would advise against going off the island on an excursion, saw some people who had been on the desert island excursion they were covered in bites.

Level Contributor
66 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito - Reethi Beach

Rumps, Odourless Garlic tablets? Surely one must smell of garlic? I am not sure about the garlic as I am getting married the day before and might smell of the local Itlaian restaurant! How come it works?

Widget

Level Contributor
66 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito - Reethi Beach

Hi Jojouk69

IS it homeopathic? Or is that a name of a anti-histamine? Am sure i have heard of it.

Widget

Level Contributor
66 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito - Reethi Beach

Hi Willowbath

I have heard that Sand flies can do as much damage as the mossies! I am concerned about getting bitten although I Had heard that the staff spray the island. Has anyone used a mossie pulg-in in their rooms? I have only got one plug-in - do I need to take another with me? As for Deet - the only thing with that is that is stains clothing..........

WIDGET

Level Contributor
66 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquito - Reethi Beach

Thanks SunLOver 57

Maybe I shall take some homeopathic stuff; I don't really like taking all the anti-histamines, they make me feel groggy!

Saying that mossie bites make me miserable.

Interesting though, as I did post a mosquito messgae a few months back and people seemed to think that there aren't many on the island as its so well sprayed. Wishful thinking?

WIdget

UK
Level Contributor
233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquito - Reethi Beach

Hi Widget

It's an anti-histamine, similar to piriton but stronger. I used to take piriton but still got bitten, since taking cetrizine I have only been bitten once with no blistering and like I said previously I usually blister. Took a photo of one really bad bite to my Dr when I came back from hols a few years ago and he recommended Cetrizine - since then I have never looked back.

I still use 50%+ deet mosi repellant and plug and tablets just before dusk. Avoid sitting near any newly watered plants etc as mosi's are drawn to water.

Jo