We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Any advice???

Which Baa Atoll hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Any advice???

Hi everyone

I have read on the forum about reethi closing on 15th may. I had my heart set on reethi for our honeymoon but we cant go. My fiances wonderful manager wont let him take time off at the start of may so we have to go at the end of may and it will be closed. Unfortunatly other times of the year are way out of our budget. Can anyone reccomend an island with a nice beach and really good snorkeling for about £3500 for 2 all inclusive at the end of May?

So far the only ones in the price range of a good standard seem to be meedhupparu which has a few questionable reviews and Ellaidhoo which doesnt appear to have much of a beach. We definatly want all inclusive because we dont want to have to worry about the bill at the end of the holiday!

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,919 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Any advice???

meedhupparu seems to be an acquired taste.. some people seem to like it a lot. i don't think it can compare with reethi in athmosphere.. its one of these mass market things that is being heavily pushed by tour operators. Ellaidhoo is a great diver's island with a fantastic reef.. but you are right about the beach.. not much there.

you can look at biyadoo , angaga, makunudu , maaya fushi and vilamendhoo.

be aware that "all inclusive" in the maldives does not usually mean that you will have no bill at check out time. there are almost always a lot of exclusions from the AI and depending on your habits , you will come up with a bill..so you want to research the AI at booking in order to adjust your budget and prevent surprises.

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Any advice???

We are going to Ellaidhoo in August so cant tell you from past experience and although there is only one section that has a good sized beach, all aparently have enough for sunbeads and there is the infinity pool area as well to lounge arround

As for snorkeling - "probably the best house reef in the maldives" has been mentioned quiter a lot

I'll be able to tell you more in Sept when we return

meanwhile have a look on here for pictures http://gallery.me.com/headgroundsman

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Any advice???

For honeymoon based on Reethi costs, have a look at Makunudu / Angaga / Thulagiri / Fihalohi

Regards Emu

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Any advice???

Elliadhoo has the 'reported' best house reef for diving! not snorkelling (this best quote is related to island resorts, not overall best reef ever! - there are many thousands of reef thilas & giris that always outshine resort reefs) so as long as you are a comforatble swimmer dont be fooled by the 'must have best house reef quips' Friends of mine recently returned from Elliadhoo and were not impressed with the dive operation (not very safe) or island! compared with other visits to Reethi, Komandoo, Angaga & Mirihi

Regards Emu

Torun, Poland
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Any advice???

EMU

what is in your opinion the best island for snorkeling that offers good fishlife and variety of snorkeling trips? As snorkeling is priority for me I want to have an opportunity to see as much as possible of sharks, mantas, rays and maybe whale shark?

best regards

blackizcool

Bath
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Any advice???

Hi Emma,

My husband & I were convinced we ought to go AI for exactly the same reasons, but when the holiday we were planning got cancelled we didn't have the options of the AI resorts without paying silly money. This was truly a blessing in disguise from the big man himself. We couldn't have picked a more beautiful island (Coco Palm) and eventhough food & drink are expensive we still spent only £600 over 10 nights (which included a snorkelling excusion and a spa treatment).

By looking only at AI you remove quite a few of the smaller resorts who do not offer AI (as I found out when having to book last minute).

If, or should I say when I return, I would definately go back HB as it gives you the freedom of what & where you eat & drink and also gave us the wonderful experience of Coco Palm. However I wouldn't rule out AI, just be aware of the premium to go AI and if its more than 4-500pp extra for 2 weeks its simply not worth it.

Good luck with your search!

7. Re: Help! Any advice???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2010, 04:16