We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seaplane transfer

London, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
seaplane transfer

We are going to Reethi Beach next January and are transferring from Male by seaplane. It says that there is a 20kg luggage limit for the seaplane, does that include the weight of hand luggage? Any information would be great. Thanks

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seaplane transfer

20 kg for luggage..plus 5kg hand luggage

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seaplane transfer

As Paul says. Excess baggage is charged at $4 per kg, but it does depend on whether the check-in guy is in a good mood or not! Sometimes you get away with it, other times you don't.

SL

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seaplane transfer

I agree with SL…….there seems to be a lot of discretion on it or not to charge.

London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: seaplane transfer

Thanks for the info. Just have to try to keep the packing to a minimum I guess!

Newton Abbot, Devon
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seaplane transfer

I have been advised by H & J 20kgs on the seaplane and anything over that limit will follow by speedboat, but that depends on how many people are on the flight and they will take more if they can. We are flying with Qatar Airways and they allow 23kgs plus 7kgs hand luggage, we will be taking the full amount no doubt and will have one of our suitcases follow on the speedboat which will arrive on the same day we are told, just make sure the suitcase you take on the seaplane has everything you need for that day, ie suncream and swimming costumes. We are flying out 12th March, just 2 weeks 2 days to go so I will let you know how we get on, H &J have said we should not be charged unless we are over 27kgs pp. Peter

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,406 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seaplane transfer

hm.... i think your H&J agent might be confused .... but nothing is impossible , i guess

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,406 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: seaplane transfer

i meant to add by way of explanation ..

to my knowledge and experience... it is true that on too full flights , they will have to bump some luggage onto later flights or speedboat (to islands that have both options - and IF there is another speedboat scheduled for that day) .. but even on a non-heavy flight , you are certainly subject to the excess weight charges if you expect your luggage to travel with you.

we always fly comfort class, business class or whatever the front compartment is called by each airline .. and so generally fly with a 30 kilo allowance plus carry-on on the international flight . as divers we end up using a lot of weight in gear and are ALWAYS way over seaplane allowance. ergo .. sometimes they make us pay, sometimes not .. but our "fancy" airline ticket has never impressed anyone :)

Newton Abbot, Devon
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: seaplane transfer

I think we will only find out the truth for us when we arrive at Male airport at 7am 13th March. Whatever happens pay or not and as long as the luggage arrives we will be happy, 2 weeks basking in the sun on a beautiful island sipping a G & T on the beach, heaven, can't wait. I will let yopu know how we fare on our return. Peter Happy Holidays.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,406 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: seaplane transfer

you have the right attitude, devon ... bringing it into perspective .. we are talking a few dollars on a multi-thousand dollar vacation. definitely not enough to even worry about when i pack.

i usually find that flashing the seaplane staff your brightest smile will get you charged much less often than complaining ...

have a wonderful time!

Newton Abbot, Devon
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: seaplane transfer

Spammie; we will be smiling all the way our first visit to the Maldives,cheers Peter