We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what food/drink do you take to the Maldives?

bath england
Level Contributor
622 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
what food/drink do you take to the Maldives?

Reading that someone takes ham (well the bacon is pretty naff) and stuff to the Maldives made me wonder what else people take. We take kettle (what do you expect), Carte Noire sachets for early morning cappuccino well recommended. A Large packet of M&S jumbo roasted peanuts I make it last the holiday and 14+ packets of McVities cheddars for myself. The wife takes a bar of chocolate one square a day unless I find it.

Sea Explorer
Scuba & Snorkeling
Soleni Dive Centre
Shark Diving, Boat Tours, Boat Hire, Scuba & Snorkeling
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what food/drink do you take to the Maldives?

Just the sweets and chocolate we buy at the airport or in the plane,,,so we take in whatever is left and not eaten on the plane,,,we never take anything else,,,Never occurs to us.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,707 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what food/drink do you take to the Maldives?

willow I can't believe you thought I was anywhere near serious about taking wafer thin ham to the Maldives not only because it is illegal to import pork products into the Maldives.

Surely though does your "essential" all-inclusive not keep you full enough?

Or are you just trying to save a few pounds by not buying it in the shop on the island?

John

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what food/drink do you take to the Maldives?

boiled sweets to suck when taking off / landing. other than that - nothing.

Ian

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what food/drink do you take to the Maldives?

Ni wafer thin ham John? Really that's a shame:))

Boston UK
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what food/drink do you take to the Maldives?

Suffolk-John - I was beginning to wonder! I certainly took your reference to a suitcase full of wafer thin ham as hugely tongue-in-cheek, but it seems there were those who now have you marked as an international smuggler! I suggest you change your signature name to Carlos the Jackal forthwith! In any event, to the point of the thread, Mrs Bonters actually takes a jar of Marmite with her to Reethi. I ask you? AND she takes it to breakfast with her in the morning! Not only does she like the stuff (yuk), but she also subscribes to the old wives' tale theory that it somehow deters mozzies from biting you! Even though so far (touch wood), we have never encountered mozzies on Reethi. The workings of the female mind, eh? But then that would suffice for a fairly comprehensive thread of it's own!! :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what food/drink do you take to the Maldives?

Gee thanks bonters,

Personally I am disappointed about johns ham as i felt it would have went quite nicely with the hard boiled eggs snaffled from breakfast to make a tasty lunch time snack:))

Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what food/drink do you take to the Maldives?

We usually take some of the large bars of Lindt chocolate bought in the Duty Free and have a little every afternoon with coffee. We also bring extra to give to the room guy and waiter just because once when we returned to Royal Island we offered a bar to our room guy because he had been so nice on our previous trip and he seemed really happy to get some chocolate.

Naturally we tip as well :-)

Sometimes I'll bring crisps as well.

I don't like buying chocolate in the shop on the island as it never tastes right to me.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what food/drink do you take to the Maldives?

Bonters, does your missus rub the marmite on like insect repellent or is the mere sight of the label enough to scare the little blighters off?

Ian

bath england
Level Contributor
622 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what food/drink do you take to the Maldives?

Sorry about the ham Suffolk took it out of context must start reading all these posts I usually ignore g man. Must mention Marmite to the wife she starts taking vitamin B tablets about 6 weeks before we go to ward off the mozzies. Icn what bonters does in the privacy of his villa is his affair

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what food/drink do you take to the Maldives?

lol true enough willowbath, but depending on the answer I thought it may be a useful addition to the faq's. we've been looking for a good mozzie repellent for years! wonder if it works with sand flies as well? They'll either love it or hate it I s'pose.....

Ian

Edited: 23 October 2011, 13:34
Get answers to your questions about Baa Atoll
Recent Conversations