We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meedhupparu Island

yorkshire
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Meedhupparu Island

Hi everyone, we are travelling to Meedhupparu island and would loive some info if possible.

1) What type of plugs should we take

2) Do I have to take my iron, (I know I am holiday but cannot be doing with creased clothes)

Any other information I might need to know wouold be most appreciated

Thanks x

Sea Explorer
Scuba & Snorkeling
Soleni Dive Centre
Shark Diving, Boat Tours, Boat Hire, Scuba & Snorkeling
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meedhupparu Island

Plugs, Irons !!!! you are going to the Maldives get a grip!"!!

seriously - roll clothes when you pack them, dont fold, hang anything vaguely creasy on hangers the humidity will do the rest.

Cannot help with plugs we have a variable adaptor, never had a problem and never had to iron anything. As for the " my hair will not conform, what shall I do?" brigade. let it have a holiday too

Chill and enjoy, you need very little of anything in paradise, just the dosh to get you there !

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,731 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meedhupparu Island

definitely worth it to invest in some ironfree clothes . anything you spend an hour ironing in your air conditioned room will immediately revert back to wrinkles as soon as you step outside. there is no need to get gussied up beyond a light sundress or one of these pretty crinkly skirts and a top. with the right selection of clothes, you will look gorgeous and natural and as if you are on vacation.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Meedhupparu Island

buckle-bugs thanks for you rapid response, I think after reading your reply a sunhat will be needed (you have'nt seen my hair) and as you said give the hair a holiday, I will do as you reccommend and hang up the clothes and if the creases don't come out just say its the new fashion. Once again thanks we are looking forward to our trip very much.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meedhupparu Island

Hi and welcome to the forum

You won't find an iron in the room so if you are resolute that you can't be doing with creased clothes you'll need to take one, or send everything to the laundry for pressing. I was of the same mind as you when we first went to the Maldives and took a travel iron with me. We had previously holidayed every year in the Caribbean and despite it's reputation as a very laid back destination - that didn't/doesn't extend to evening clothing! So I was expecting a similar situation - ie dressing for dinner in a neatly ironed sundress, or pressed trousers etc.

I couldn't have been more wrong. The heat and humidity of the Maldives means that you cannot, no matter how hard you try, stay crisp and pressed once you step outside your room. On our first trip, for the first few days, everything was ironed before we left the room. I quickly realised that it was pointless. Simply walking from room to restaurant made whatever I was wearing look like it had just come out of the dryer. So I gave up and went with the flow. The Maldives really IS a laid back destination, in a way that the Caribbean is not. There is no need to 'dress' for dinner. I still will wear a dress or 3/4 trousers and a pretty top but if I look a bit rumpled - well, so is everyone else. Plenty of people will wear shorts and Tshirt to dinner maybe slightly dressier than on the beach, but only a very few opt to go the whole hog and 'dress' for dinner.

You probably won't believe me and will still take a travel iron, but honestly, it really isn't worth the bother.

With regards to plugs - the majority of islands have the standard British 3 pin sockets. Haven't been to Meed so can't state categorically that this is the case there. If no-one comes along with a definite answer I'd suggest emailing the island just to double check.

SL

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meedhupparu Island

Yes, meed is definitely three pin.

The only thing I find needs ironing is men's trousers ( ie chinos) or tailored shorts. Also their shirts for evening, but much depends on your packing ability.,or well what your partner chooses to wear. None of my clothes have ever been or needed ironing,

yorkshire
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Meedhupparu Island

Thanks everyone for your replies, I have good advice from them. Well thats decided no iron, no straighteners and just go with the flow and enjoy.

7. Re: Meedhupparu Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 20:16
Get answers to your questions about Baa Atoll
Recent Conversations