We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baa atoll house reefs.

Cumbria
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Baa atoll house reefs.

We are planning our 4th trip to the Maldives for later this year, Nov or Dec 2013. Our last visit a couple of years ago was to Elaidhoo and previously Baros where the house reefs were amazing. We are both big snorkeling fans but are not that interested in diving, this is why a good house reef is important.

This time we would like to visit Baa atoll, this is so we are within a boat ride of Hanifaru bay should the opportunity come up to see mantas. So far I seem to have narrowed the resort choice down to Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu. Our budget is about £5k ish for 10 days.

My question is - is there a standout house reef on a Baa atoll resort?

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baa atoll house reefs.

Most of the islands I have visited in the Baa Atoll did not have great reefs from a coral standpoint (the fish are still very numerous and diverse for the most part). It seems this atoll did not recover from bleaching as well as the other atolls I have visited. Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu's reef is quite bleached and not very beautiful, but it does still have an excellent quantity of sea life to see while snorkeling.

I have been hearing about one particular resort in the Baa Atoll that may have a standout house reef and that is Dusit Thani. It only opened last year, but the reef is getting quite a bit of praise from guests who are regular visitors to the Maldives.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,484 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baa atoll house reefs.

you wil be disappointed with the baa atoll for snorkeling . if you want to better your experience, aim for the southern ari atoll . you can see plenty of manta there

Cumbria
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Baa atoll house reefs.

Many thanks for the reply, I will have a look at Dusit Thani.

Spammie - any suggestions?

Edited: 22 March 2013, 22:24
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,484 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baa atoll house reefs.

lots of suggestions in south ari, based on your budget and taste : mirihi , conrad and angaga are within (boat) minutes of a manta point .. mirihi and angaga have outstanding reefs , conrad mediocre . athuruga has a very good reef .. thudufushi's is good to, if not as easy . lots of manta sightings at himandhoo thila. also pretty good reefs at lily beach , centara grand and vilamendhoo . (i wouldn't personally recommend centara but it has its fans)

Edited: 22 March 2013, 22:54
Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baa atoll house reefs.

Hi Sea Turtle,

Late November / December is very late in the season for Hanifaru, CPDD you mention is also a fair distance away and weather at this time of year can make a long boat trip a little uncomfortable.

We were in Baa August 2012 and the Mantas were not as prolific at Hanifaru as past years in fact on some trips (we did not go)) none were seen!

We did come across large congregations outside of Hanifaru when diving (making our way back to the resort) which we spent some time with.

Can definitely back up that house reefs will be better in Ari Atoll.

Cumbria
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Baa atoll house reefs.

Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies, all good advice. The same advice has come up from a travel agent this weekend so this has prompted a change of plan away from CPDK. South Ari it is......hopefully.

Have received a quote for the dates we want at Angaga and it comes in under budget. Should get some idea of cost for Mirihi tomorrow, not holding my breath on this one as I suspect it might be out of our range.

Another island also came up, Gangehi (North Ari) It does have a wall partly around it but that doesn't put us off. Have been advised it is mainly Italian guests, we're ok with that too.

Should be able to make a decision in the next few days.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baa atoll house reefs.

Angaga is the right island for turtles - in fact, one of the reasons we're going back is because we saw at least one turtle every time we snorkelled there. Vilamendhoo had a massive reef with more shoals etc but turtles proved hard to find.

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baa atoll house reefs.

Angaga and Mirihi are very near a Manta Point and the Whaleshark channel .

Maafushivaru and Vakarufalhi are in the area too .

Vilamendhoo may be worth a look aswell .

Conrad Rangali but that will be a lot more than Mirihi which will in turn be way more than Angaga .

Andy

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baa atoll house reefs.

have not been to either Angaga or Gangehi but have landed at and flew over both and they look amazingly pretty islands with great reefs (especially Angaga).

Gangehi is closer to the NW edge of the atoll so may be more susceptible to currents

I would go to either no probs despite reports of samey food at Angaga. If you have a bit more money than Angaga costs consider Athuruga, Maafushivaru and Gangehi

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
160 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baa atoll house reefs.

Went to Athuruga on South Ari Atoll in Feb. can recommend. Great house reef. Manta and whale shark trips available. Very pretty. Nice atmosphere. Full review on TA.

Have a great time wherever you choose.

Get answers to your questions about Baa Atoll
Recent Conversations