We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks to Reethi & Have a Few Questions.....

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks to Reethi & Have a Few Questions.....

Hi Everyone,

It;s now just 3 weeks until we're wheels up and headed for Reethi Beach and we're so excited!

Can anyone update us on Reethi Select; there was mention here just after Ian, Bonters and Jody returned about changes (possibly more restrictions/price changes etc) and we wonder if anyone who has visited more recently could give us an update.

We are booked on a B&B basis but would like to upgrade to Select if it's available when we arrive. We didn't book AI as we would prefer the option to dine around the resort and not be restricted to the buffet.

Also, if we remain on B&B basis is tea and coffee replenished in the water villas or is there just an initial supply that we'll need to top up with our own supplies from home when used?

Any other tips or hints for our trip and stay would be most welcome. Thanks in advance and think it's time to start counting sleeps :-)

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks to Reethi & Have a Few Questions.....

Hopefully nic can update on any proposed change in charges but I can confirm our tea and coffee was replenished daily in the water villa!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks to Reethi & Have a Few Questions.....

Oh and if they are running night snorkeling still, do it! Was really amazing and nowhere near as scary as I thought! If snorkeling is your thing then get a boat to thiladhoo, the reef there is very nice.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks to Reethi & Have a Few Questions.....

Thanks as always Jody.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks to Reethi & Have a Few Questions.....

It's only worth upgrading to AI Select if you both drink a fair amount and have at least two courses every lunch and dinner.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
975 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks to Reethi & Have a Few Questions.....

I would agree with Beanerd on the Select AI upgrade. Why not try 2-3 days on B&B, then check your bill and make the upgrade decision then. We spent less than £50 a day each on food & drink, choosing a casual pool bar lunch and a different restaurant each night and actually found the buffet meal the most expensive (excl the special anniversary meal at the Saima Garden!)

Do the free guided snorkel one day - meet at the sunset bar at 11am; walk a different way to lunch or dinner each day - the central island garden is worth a look - and try & find the elusive turtle!

Boston UK
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks to Reethi & Have a Few Questions.....

I'm assuming Reethi are still doing AI Select? I searched their website recently and couldn't find a single mention of it anywhere?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks to Reethi & Have a Few Questions.....

Agree with Parrotfish...eat and drink all you want for a few days and then check your bill at reception. It only takes a couple of minutes, and then you can make your mind up. in our case it turned out we were only $10pp below the select upgrade cost so it was a no brainer to upgrade.

Despite how it may have sounded in the blog we didn't really hammer it (not like Bonters did anyway, lol - hello mate!) yes we may have had a bottle of wine with dinner which we wouldn't have normally, but we found it didn't take much to justify the select ai cost.

I'd say it's definitely worth waiting at least a couple of full days first though....

Ian

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 weeks to Reethi & Have a Few Questions.....

Thanks as always for you help everyone; there's nothing quite like advice from those who've "been there and done it" !

We decided this morning that we'll stick with B&B for 2/3 days until we acclimatise and see how much we actually want to eat and drink (not sponges by any means but this is a once in a lifetime trip for us and we want to relax and enjoy ourselves), and then make a decision on Select (if still on offer) for our last 6 or 7 days.

Really appreciate your advice and opinions, thanks again.

Debs

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
975 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 weeks to Reethi & Have a Few Questions.....

Debs, there may be a minimum number of days for select AI upgrade. I'd advise searching on here and also checking with reception when you arrive.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 weeks to Reethi & Have a Few Questions.....

It was a minimum of 7 nights, but Nic recently posted they were looking at reducing it to 5 I think it was - so yes it's best to check.

Also once you have upgraded to select, you cannot downgrade back to AI or lower.