We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Room security

Which Baa Atoll hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Room security

I'm new to the forum, so apologies if I'm asking a question that's already been answered to death! In which case, please point me in the direction of a relevant thread.

I've never taken anything of value to the maldives before, so haven't been worried about losing anything. In fact, at reethi beach a couple of weeks ago I never even bothered locking my room as there was nothing of value to steal.

However, next year I plan on taking a good underwater camera, laptop or iPad for downloading pics etc. Presumably you couldn't fit all that stuff in the safe, so I just wondered what folks did with valuables when you're out of the room. (Presumably start by locking the door!!!) any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Room security

Hi

I think with articles as distinct from cloned credit/debit cards the risk is small as you would notice straight away and there's nowhere to run on a island which is why I believe we tend to safe from general crime in the Maldives

Regards

Doug

London, United...
Level Contributor
496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Room security

I'm always very lacksadaisical (a nice new word for Spammie :-)) about security in the Maldives and never had anything stolen but will take more care in future thanks to the current 'credit card cloned' thread. I'd suggest locking larger items in your biggest suitcase as no-one's likely to walk off with that, I wouldn't have thought.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Room security

Hi and welcome to the forum

Interestingly there is a current thread that is relevant to your query. Have a look at the last few pages of it as there are some ideas there as to the things that people do. I'm about to invest in the Pacsafe mentioned by a couple of posters. Take care about leaving things unattended on the beach as well when you go snorkelling. It is extremely rare, but I do know of a couple of people have had things go missing.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293953-i7445-k6…

SL

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Room security

We generally have a small laptop, 2 ipods, 4 underwater cameras strobes and wet lenses, dive computers/lights with us. Whilst we put passports/money/cards in the safe we lock the laptop in our case, everything else is left in a locked room out of sight or is out and about with us.

We've never had anything go missing (touch wood) but have heard of the rare occasional masks/snorkels going walkabout from outside the front of rooms - we tend to bring all our snorkel things into the bathroom for washing and they then stay there if theres enough room until we want them.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Room security

Thanks for the tips all.

Think I will invest in a Pacsafe for the next trip.

Heather-never actually occurred to me that anyone would take my snorkeling stuff, it's always lived on the porch from beginning to end of the holiday, maybe I'll be more careful about that in future.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Room security

i always take laptop , cameras , etc with me and i couldn't possibly be bothered to put everything in the safe . all items find their place unsecured and in plain sight . i have never had a problem . i generally don't lock the room door either because i can't be bothered lugging a key around . its vacation ... time to relax . leave the paranoia at home!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Room security

That's good to hear spammie. I'm def with you on the key thing. Managed to lose mine on the beach one year after 1 too many cocktails, that was the last time I ever locked my room!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Room security

I do recommend locking your room door. It's not just hotel staff but also other guests you're keeping out. They - usually accidentally but very occasionally deliberately - can enter the wrong villa from time to time.

If you have a safe, use it. And don't use the same combination that you use for your suitcase padlock because that's too easy.

9. Re: Room security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2014, 05:16