We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic Plane & Speedboat Transfer to Reethi Beach

Which Baa Atoll hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Domestic Plane & Speedboat Transfer to Reethi Beach

Hi All,

Well, you were all completely right; acute maldivitis struck after our first visit to Reethi Beach in June and we have just paid a deposit for a return trip next June. This is the first time we have ever returned to a destination let alone a resort twice but nothing else we considered matched up for value for money and sheer relaxation and enjoyment within our budget. Very excited indeed but will resist the urge to start counting sleeps just yet.

We got a quote from Purely Maldives and had requested seaplane transfers, but the quote included domestic transfer by plane and boat. Sea plane transfers can be added at £77pp. Whilst we are just above budget since we've chosen the direct BA flights we're don't really want to up the budget any more but would like to keep the sea plane option if possible. Can anyone who has used the domestic transfer recently share their experiences; was it efficient, how long did it take to get from Male to Reethi and would you book it again or take the seaplane option? Would really value your feedback before we make a final decision.

Must dash now - sleeps to count.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help and it's great to be heading back to paradise :-)

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
942 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domestic Plane & Speedboat Transfer to Reethi Beach

I think Suffolk John posted about this, may be worth searching his posts.

But if I remember correctly, the time could be similar to seaplane but the domestic flight schedule is fixed and would therefore depend on co-incidence with international flight timetable and giving time to clear & re-check in.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Domestic Plane & Speedboat Transfer to Reethi Beach

Thanks Parrotfish, I did see the earlier thread but wondered if anyone had any more recent experience of this type of transfer. We've chosen the direct BA flight to make the journey a bit less onerous so would hate to then be waiting around for a domestic flight.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domestic Plane & Speedboat Transfer to Reethi Beach

I know of someone who did it and said they arrived at almost the same time as the seaplane but the dhoni trip was a lot longer. I am sure Nic may be able to add more info?

If I am honest, I'd pay double that to have the seaplane, I know when budget is already stretched every penny counts but the seaplane is a massive part of the trip for us and I'd be gutted not to go on one lol.

I'm going to go and look at prices for Reethi in June now to see whether I feel like I made the right decision or not...............

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Domestic Plane & Speedboat Transfer to Reethi Beach

I have not stayed in Reethi, but I've taken domestic flight to Baa atoll to Dusit Thani.

I took domestic flight to Dharavandhoo Airport of Baa atoll in June to Dusit Thani, it was roughly 20 to 25 mins, then i took another 10 mins of speedboat to reach Dusit.

For my international flight (SQ) schedule, the domestic flight worked great, sq flight arrived around 22:10, the domestic flight depart at 23:40. For return, i took the flight leaving Dharavandhoo Airport at 20:20 and my sq flight left Male at 23:30.

I don't know about the schedule for BA flight, but you could check the domestic flight schedule in this website to see if it match with your international flight.

http://www.maldivian.aero/

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Domestic Plane & Speedboat Transfer to Reethi Beach

Hiya. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember bonters writing something about the domestic flight. Perhaps he will be along to confirm that.

I also booked with purely maldives for reethi next march and opted for the seaplane. On all my trips to the maldives I've been on the seaplane within an hour of arriving at male. I've probably just been lucky, but in my head it feels like its the quickest way to get there!!!

I also booked BA as I like a direct flight even though its more expensive. I know the seaplane can bump up the price if you're already at the top of your budget. I don't even like the seaplane, but I book it cos I just want to get there as quick as possible! I'm sure my reasoning is a bit squiffy!! If I spend hours waiting for the seaplane next year maybe my opinion will change!!!!!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Domestic Plane & Speedboat Transfer to Reethi Beach

Decided, seaplane it is! I do love the sea plane and thought last year would be a once in a lifetime chance to cross it off the "to do" list, but really looking forward to another stunning flight.

Thanks as always for your advice.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Domestic Plane & Speedboat Transfer to Reethi Beach

Hooray, enjoy!!!!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Domestic Plane & Speedboat Transfer to Reethi Beach

Hello Placitas

Seaplane it definitely is then - apologies for the slight pricing issue - but I am glad you are now happy and looking forward to your trip.

Best wishes

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Boston UK
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Domestic Plane & Speedboat Transfer to Reethi Beach

Sorry, HunnyBeaBeas, but I don't think I've commented previously on the domestic flight, I certainly don't remember doing anyway. But at £77 per person, we would definitely upgrade to the seaplane, which is an integral part of the holiday to us. The decision seems to have been made anyway, and bon voyage Placitasgirl ;-)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Domestic Plane & Speedboat Transfer to Reethi Beach

Sorry bonters, memory failed me...again! Are you headed to reethi again next year, I did enjoy your blog, particularly as I left just before you arrived. Kept my holiday feeling going for just a bit longer!!!