We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reethi - June 2014

Fornebu, Norway
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Reethi - June 2014

Hi all!

Starting a new thread for anyone going to Reethi in June 2014.

Since I already got my regular travel company friends with me to Cape Verde in march, I did not find anyone to join for the Maldives in June.

It also seems that im alone amongst my friends being very keen on going to the Maldives..

So then i cut through and ordered a trip for myself.

I love Island getaways , snorkeling/ diving, a nice cocktail or just relax at the beach. So I think I'll be fine even if I'm alone. But since it's my first holiday alone (ever) I just booked 6 nights at Reethi.

If there are other social people going to reethi in June (im there 21st-27th) let me know. Would be nice to meet and have a nice time.

If you should be a couple in love, don't worry. I'll respect your privacy, and will not bother you all the time. But would have been nice to join you for some cocktails a night or two.

I'm not single, so not looking for any romance or such. Your age and sex is not super relevant either, as long as you are social person with good attitude and mood.

One week might be a bit long in the company of myself. But I simply could not wait any longer to visit the maldives :-)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reethi - June 2014

I'm jealous. I just got back from 3 weeks at Reethi. I also travelled alone for the first week until my friend joined me. However, I was never alone during that first week. I met plenty of people and spent every eve in the bar, either with other guests or staff that I met.

If you're a diver you will meet people and the folk at the dive school are very sociable. There are some changes happening in the dive centre at the mo, but all the new people seem friendly too. I'm sure you will have a fab time, I can't wait to get back there next year.

Fornebu, Norway
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reethi - June 2014

Thanks for your reply HunnyBeaBeas.

That sounds great. I tried to find a social Island, and nice to get confirmed that it's the case for Reethi! It also looks like Fonimagoodhoo Island is a very beautiful Island, even by Maldivian standards.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reethi - June 2014

Staff tend to be very sociable on most of the islands, particularly watersports, dive and entertainment staff. You should not struggle.

The issue with the sort of post that you made, is , as you give no detail about yourself,,ie are you male, female, 18 or 70, you may put some, not all, but some, people off by talking about spending a couple of nights with them, not just meeting for a drink. Or talk about the fact you won't bother them " all " the time,,,which could read you fully intend to bother them some of the time,,:-)) I think it's in the translation.

Just let it happen naturally, but don't hook onto someone and then not let them go. That can be problematic with solo travellers ie you have a beer with them one night, then you end up they think they will be joining you for drinks every night. Or you invite them to join you for dinner one night and then they want to join you for dinner every night and it becomes really awkward,

This sort of thing would be better done by simply posting,,,"who else will be there on these dates ..,beers at five o clock! " takes the pressure off.

Anyway, I think you will have a fab time, but don't be worried about being on your own or trying to plan your meetings in advance,,,just chill and go with the flow.:-))

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reethi - June 2014

I agree with froggy, just go with the flow and see what happens. I was fully prepared to eat alone every night, and to sit up at the bar by myself. In actual fact that never happened, I made some very good friends and was never alone. But nothing was planned, it just happened that way for me.

My tip is to definitely sit up at the bar, you will always get chatting to folk there, and the staff mainly sit at the bar on reethi and are a sociable bunch. If other guests ask you to join them then great, but I wouldn't sit on the comfy chairs in the bar unless you want to be alone, it's dark there for a start and no one will see you, or more likely they will assume you want to be alone. Don't stress or try to organise anything, just let things unfold!!!!

Fornebu, Norway
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reethi - June 2014

Froggy & Hunny: yeah I see your point! English is not my mothers tongue, so i can see the potential in misunserstanding the post.

Im a 32 yo, male, Norwegian and work as a health economist in a hospital.

But I'll rather stick with your plan, to just wait and see what happens. If it gets to boring i'll just go snorkeling or diving :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reethi - June 2014

I think you will be absolutely fine, worst case in my experience is the staff are always looking for folks to talk to in the evening, and play football during the day or something, just join in different activities sit at the bar, you will have a great time.

Try to go snorkelling with a group though, it's not good to go out on your own.

Fornebu, Norway
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reethi - June 2014

Sorry, forgot to thank you for the reply Froggy.

I think I will be absolutely fine during the holidays.

I will snorkel on my own, but I have professional equipment and high knowledge in coral reefs. I even grow corals at home and sell them. And if the sea/ currents are too rough some days, I dont snorkel or stay in lagoon or close to Jetty.

Diving will offcourse not be on my own (even if I do that in Norway)

Was just in Boa Vista - Cape Verde, where its 10x worse.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Reethi - June 2014

Hi, I'm going out to reethi on the 29th of June, but wondered how was the diving honey beabeas? And more importantly did you see any manta! Is a dream of mine to see them and hoping there are some about this time of year!

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reethi - June 2014

Hanifaru Bay is open again for the season which means that the manta are back.

Usually plenty of mantas not far from Reethi.

John

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Reethi - June 2014

I thought you are not allowed to dive hanifaru? When booking this I almost went out of my mind trying to figure out monsoon/atoll/migrating stuff!! All to try and second guess where manta rays will be a year in advance :-) but fingers crossed they will be around at end of June! What else can I expect to see at the moment?