We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaplane transfers

Which Baa Atoll hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Seaplane transfers

Hi we are going to Reethi beach resort in a couple of weeks. Can someone please let me know if ladies can take a small handbag as well as cabin baggage bag on seaplane as this is allowed by BA. Also does sea plane fly straight to reethi or does it call at other islands. Have you or have you heard of anyone feeling air sick on seaplane and is it easy to get on and off!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,089 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaplane transfers

Hi

We take a small bag with camera and money as well as our hand luggage but it is small. I suffer with motion sickness but don't seem to have a problem on the sea plane .

You may go directly to the resort island or be dropped off first but it's more than likely you will have passengers going to other islands on your plane .

Enjoy

Darryl

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaplane transfers

Yes, you can take everything, it just gets stowed up the back if the plane, you can see it.

It may stop at other islands, depends on the daily schedule.

I'm not sure people would get " sea sick" on a plane per se, but it's really hot in there, so take some water ( buy it at the sea plane terminal).

Yes it's easy to get on and off, it's just three or four metal stairs. However the plane is very small inside and the seats are very small also, this pic I googled might give you an idea, I've seen some pretty big blokes in those seats though,

mymumdom.com/wp-content/…IMG_0800.jpg

You can also google some you tube videos,

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaplane transfers

Many thanks. Looks a bit claustrophobic though. Have been on a 6 seater small plane in Caribbean in a tropical storm so am a bit nervous.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaplane transfers

Thanks. I'm not usually airsickness but am travel sick other modes of transport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
314 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaplane transfers

The sea plane is great fun, grab a window seat if you can for some great photo opportunities, that will make you forget any worries about sickness for sure.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaplane transfers

Don't be nervous, it's fine, it's not that claustrophobic,,,your first couple of times in one you are so fixated on the views of those tiny islands, it's like something out of a national geographic spread, you totally forget everything else and can't believe it.

Now I'm a bit " omg, this is quite high" but the first Couple of times did not even spot it. They also tend to fly round the clouds to avoid the rain, there is no concern. They can also land on water. Obviously:-)

So I would say the only thing to be wary of is the heat, it's very, very hot in them, there is no aircon, it's just a couple of fans, which are pretty useless unless you are the poor sod sitting in the first row and having them blow in your face.

As sue says, try to board early so you can grab a window seat.

UK
Level Contributor
368 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seaplane transfers

I'm not sure I could do it - really strange question but do they go really high?

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seaplane transfers

Hi

No they don't go really high the cabins are not pressurised they actually fly quite low

Regards

Doug

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seaplane transfers

The thing about the seaplanes is the hot while you are waiting and at the beginning of the flight, them you don't feel it, and that there is little space for everything... I don't like flying, but I haven never felt a thing about the high...

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seaplane transfers

Well it depends on the definition of high to be fair,,,they go to in amongst the clouds if that makes sense? Sure it's not 35 k feet, but I think that's quite high personally,

Honestly don't be concerned, you will be too busy with the views to care. Seriously.