We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meeru over booking

Cinderford, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Meeru over booking

Hi:

We've been hearing and reading scare story's of people arriving at Meeru and not having a room allocated. We've heard of people being given alternatives of cruises for a few days then not being given an equivelent room to that for which they've paid upon return to the island, people who have slept in staff quarters and others who have had to sleep on the beach even.

We have booked hrough Thomson faraway shores to stay all inclusive at Meeru from the 11 - 25 Feb 2008. This will be our third visit to the Maldives and we will be celebrating our 25th anniversary on the 14th whilst at Meeru. We have never encountered anything like this before (on any holiday) and wondered if any one can tell us if they have had an issue with a british travel agent and in particular, Thomson.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mike

Cinderford, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meeru over booking

I'm hoping that as no-one has responded to this post that there has been no known issues - great!!

Worcester, England
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Meeru over booking

Hi Mike

We are off to Meeru in December so I was a bit concerned to read your posting! I've read all the reviews on this forum and have never heard of this problem. May I ask where did you hear the scare stories (if only to puit our minds at rest).

Cheers

Linda

Cinderford, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meeru over booking

Hi HW - if you look hard enough you will see some reviews on this website as well as www.meeru.co.uk and www.meeru.co.uk/forum.

Skegness, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meeru over booking

I stayed on Meeru a couple of years ago and had no problems at all, had booked 13 nts in water villa and the first nt in a jacuzzi land villa as thats all that was available, the staff were really helpful, moved our bags etc for us.

I had no problems with Meeru at all.

Have a lovely time.

lincs
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Meeru over booking

Hi Mike,

We went to Meeru just before the tsunami & had a wonderful time ,but yes there was overbooking,we booked a jacuzzi land villa, only to be told 2 days before we went that one was no longer available(airtours) & 4 times a note was put through our door offering a cruise to free up rooms, & also moves to other islands(velavaru I think)We were not alone not getting the room we booked as the couple who shared our meal table had also encountered problems.

On a positive note it is a wonderful island, excellent food & friendly attentive staff. I think the management are just trying to squeeze the maximum number of bookings in.

regards

sue

England
Level Contributor
89 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meeru over booking

Don't worry!! This is fairly common with some resorts in the Maldives. I visited Meeru in a group of 6 in Feb 2004 when the resort was overbooked. Leaflets were left in our room offering us the chance to stay on another island for a few nights or to go on an overnight trip on a boat.

We decided to take advantage of the boat trip offer and stayed on the Kamana for 3 days/2 nights. This was by far the best part of our holiday. There were 11 people in total on the boat. We basically sailed around the atoll and could do whatever we wanted. So, some of the men wanted to go fishing - no problem, they went off in the speedboat and came back with catches of snapper and tuna. We asked to visit a local island, to visit a deserted island, to snorkel off a sandbank, to snorkel off the drop off to a house reef, to see dolphins, to swim with manta rays - all no problem. And this was all at no cost!

The downside was that we had to pack up completely and were allocated a new room, but that was a minor inconvenience compared to what we got!!

My friends had visited Meeru before us and the same thing happened to them except they took the option of staying at another resort - it ended up being Mirihi!

So, in short don't worry about it. If there is overbooking then the hotel has ways around it and it may result in you ultimately getting an even better holiday experience.

Cinderford, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meeru over booking

I think that I may have got to the bottom or at least discovered one of the reasons for this overbooking issue. I made contact with Meeru direct (a very nice chap called Ali has been corresponding with me) to try and arrange a room allocation that suited us (between 201 & 206). However, even though we booked with Thomson over a month ago Meeru have yet to receive our individual booking (or indeed a block booking) for the dates concerned.

This is our third visit to the Maldives (Filetheyo & Sun Island before) and we have never come accross this issue before. I've written to Thomson but have yet to receive a reply - typical, I suppose......

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Meeru over booking

Tour operators have 'allotments' with hotels which guarantees them for example 5 rooms in the hotel/island at any time of year - the tour operator knows how many of their 5 rooms they have free at any time and the hotel/island is obliged to accept these bookings normally up to about 3 weeks before your departure date. Tour operators generally only pass on your personal details to the hotel/island about 1 month prior to your arrival as the agreement with the island guarantees them these 5 rooms. I hope that makes sense! So it is quite normal that the island don't have any record of your booking at present.

I stayed at Meeru last november - got exactly the room I wanted at the Maalan end of the island (thankfully). Others were put in a water villa for a night then moved the following day. During our stay one i think about 3 occasions there were offers to move to other islands or take the cruise f.o.c. - so they often get overbookings...but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Send an e-mail to the island a week before you are to arrive to check all is in order.

Cinderford, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meeru over booking

Seems a strange way to do business if that's the case - no wonder they're always over booked!!

Cinderford, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meeru over booking

I notice another couple of poor reviews for Meeru and in particular related to overbooking.

I'm beginning to think that we have made a big, big mistake by spending £4k on this resort - especially as February is one of the busiest times in the Maldives.