We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights to male monarch?? dont think so

Which North Male Atoll hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
devon
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
flights to male monarch?? dont think so

hi there

we had two fantastic weeks in makunudu last year and we have now booked to go back in november. we have booked direct with the island for our accomadation, and have booked our flights through first choice, as we had the worst flights of our lives with monarch!!!!! has anyone recentley flown to male with first choice and if so how was it?? and how did everyone else rate monarch or were we being to fussy! i dont think so??!!!!!!

england
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights to male monarch?? dont think so

We flew with monarch when we went to maldives and it has to be the worst flight we have ever had!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
110 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flights to male monarch?? dont think so

Ditto, I can say hand on heart that in 35 years of fyling, Monarch were the worst flight I have ever had the misfortune of flying with.

Cramped conditions, poor aircraft and the list goes on really.

Why oh why dont UK Tour Operators wise up and dump monarch by the wayside where they belong?

Martin.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: flights to male monarch?? dont think so

we flew in august with first choice and were really impressed with the standard of the plane especially for economy class, good leg room,nice comfy blanket and pillow provided as we flew through the night, personal tv with music games etc, you can upgrade your tv package for £5 also, the food was good as far as airline food goes,staff very nice and at gatwick we had no queue we just walked in and straight to the desk, all very efficient.A friend travelled monarch this summer and said it wasnt that bad but she was lucky enough to get seats next to the fire exit so had extra leg room,heard some real horror stories about monarch from other guest we met on holiday and dont think any1 was impressed with them!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flights to male monarch?? dont think so

Hi there

We have also flown with FC long hall a couple of times, once to Male and we have always been very impressed.

We have upgraded once and to be honest I would rather spend the money whilst on hols as even tho we are both lanky people, star class is totally fine and very comfortable.

Luckily we haven't flown Monarch, and I have to say, nor would we.

Lex

manchester
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flights to male monarch?? dont think so

I havnt flown Monarch long haul (thank goodness) but we flew with them to Tenerife on a flight only. we were delayed 18 hours going home and they didn't tell us what was going on until 13 hours later! We spent the night in the airport because they didn't bother arranging accommodation and had a 6 euro food voucher to last the entire time! I will point blank refuse to fly with Monarch after that fiasco! My in-laws were also delayed 12 hours in Mexico with Monarch but luckily they were on a package deal and so could stay in the hotel. I have not heard one single person say that Monarch is good. I have flown with first choice on 2 long hauls and thought they were really good. However, i think first choice know their popularity and this is now beginning to be reflected in the long haul prices. We paid £2350 for Cuba in 2006, 2008's price is £3000. We also paid similar for the Maldives this year and the price for next year is £3000. Unfortunately if first choice aren't careful people will start using Thomas Cook/My Travel and upgrading the seat on the plane and will probably still have a little money left over.

lancashire
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: flights to male monarch?? dont think so

Check out emirates and Qatar , ok one stop but 5* and not as expensive as you think , actually cheaper than FC !!!!!!

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: flights to male monarch?? dont think so

Hullo All,

Just wanted to say that my wife and I have flown with Monarch previously and twice to the Maldives. Everything from checking in to the flight itself was of a high standard.

They gave us the seats we asked for, they provided water, pillows and blankets (and whenever you requested water they gave you additional bottles), the food was fine, staff were always helpful and the legroom was surprisingly ample.

Monarch advised us that they have undergone improvement to increase legroom on all its long haul flights. On the second trip to the Maldives (this year) we had more space than last which means that when the passengers in front recline their seats, it doesn't feel as though you're inhaling their shampoo!!

Both times our flights have been uneventful and I imagine that is what everyone is looking for when you are spending 10 hours in the air.

I can only speak from my experience, but I am more than happy to travel with them again - (It may be relevant, we flew from Gatwick)

Regards

Philews

Donsol, Philippines
Level Contributor
338 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flights to male monarch?? dont think so

We have never flown Monarch but have flown FC twice both times in the premium cabin. which was great.

My husband is about 6'5 and this time we are going in the normal cabin and feel assured that he will be ok.

The worst flight I have ever has has to be last year to Egypt with Thomas Cook.

Right from the attitude of the check in staff to the inhumane cramped conditions on board. to the lack of meal cos they 'forgot' to warm them up and then proceeded to charge everyone the earth for snacke etc and offered no explaination.

manchester
Level Contributor
259 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flights to male monarch?? dont think so

I flew Emitates to Mauritius Xmas 2006 - Ok but not the 5* we got with JAL to OZ Feb 2006.

London, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flights to male monarch?? dont think so

I agree that monarch is one of the worst airlines i've ever flown with but ranking right down there with them is mytravel, just returned from Dom Rep with them and it was a nightmare and we were in the premium cabin!! we had friends in economy and it was horrendously cramped they couldnt get a blanket for their toddler so I gave them mine from the premium cabin- it was promptly confiscated by a very pompous stewardess who told them they (in economy) couldnt use premium blankets!!! The plane was also filthy and the food offerings were pathetic. First Choice is a different class altogether-went to Mexico with them in May- we upgraded to premier but economy looked just as good but I must agree with a previous poster that they are getting very expensive. I have also heard that Thomson are very good.