We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meeru - Rats!!

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Meeru - Rats!!

Hi Holiday makers..........I am getting really worried as I have seen at least 2 reports from travellers to Meeru over the last 3 weeks stating that there is a 'rat' infestation!! anyone been recently and can confirm that this is not the case.....I will die if it is as I am terrified of Rats!!

Help......

Worsley, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meeru - Rats!!

As Rumpole is not here, I will do the honours.....

DollyLeicestershire,

They are not rats, they are Maldivian Hamsters.... :-)

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meeru - Rats!!

As Rumps still not here i shall reply as only he could LOL

Maybe Dolly meant Brats, and missed off on Her posting the B word. After all has been some talk in the Forum of late ref the Child Subject. Ooooops done it now !!

Dolly never saw any while we were there if that helps

Tip of the Day take long Trousers and tuck into Boots just in case

Best wishes

Billy

Witney, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meeru - Rats!!

We have been to Meeru (2002), Meedhupparu (2005) and shall be visiting Hudhuranfushi this July. We saw rats on both islands, though not an infestation, just the odd one. They come in on the produce boats and the islands try and keep on top of it, but I guess at times things get a bit much and then travellers see the problem. To be honest, you are probably surrounded by them at home, as they say you are never more than 15 feet from a rat in the UK.

Karen

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meeru - Rats!!

Hi Dolly

I was at Meeru last November for 14 nights and saw a single Maldavian Guinea Pig - that's a rat to you and me! I don't think one animal counts as an infestation.

London, England
Level Contributor
183 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meeru - Rats!!

Dolly they are not an infestation. They work there, they run the generator by running round on a giant hamster wheel behind the staff quarters. Officer Dibble, thanks for the insight, I ended up booking Mirihi. Are a Top Cat fan?

Worsley, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meeru - Rats!!

You chose well Pipling, you'll love Mirihi, it's gorgeous.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meeru - Rats!!

no dirty rats on mirihi, but you get what you pay for lol ;-)

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meeru - Rats!!

If you do see any rats and you are feeling a bit peckish you could try this.....

http://www.bertc.com/cooking_rats.htm

Perhaps not!

lincs
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Meeru - Rats!!

Hi Dolly,

We have been to Meeru & Fihalhohi,& saw the odd rat on both islands,but certainly no infestation.Not long ago There was a topic on this forum about rat infestation on sun island,so I guess rats are a problem( that the islands try & contain).....but then they are all over the world.Don't worry Dolly they will be more afraid of you than you are of them.It is a tropical climate,& there are creatures on the islands as would be expected,relax & enjoy your holiday.

Kind Regards

Sue

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meeru - Rats!!

gengy where did you find that site and how ? why would anyone look up cooking rats and mice, however it has made me smile so whatever LOL

regards susie