We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress Code in Maldives?

Which North Male Atoll hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greece
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dress Code in Maldives?

Hi everyone,i am planing my hooneymoon in malvides in Sheraton Malvides and i do not know what is the dress code in the restaurants in 5 star hotels in malvides.i mean do you need long trousers and shoes or can you go just with short pants and slippers??

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress Code in Maldives?

No long trouser, no shoes, no slippers. Wear whatever you are comfortable with but avoid swimwear at meal times.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress Code in Maldives?

Hi

This is an extract from the Sheraton Fullmoon website:

"Dress Code

Due to Maldives' tropical climate and resort location, smart or casual wear is acceptable throughout the resort. However, footwear is requested to be worn in all restaurants. In addition:

•Swim suits must be covered while dining in all restaurants

•Shoes must be worn at all times while dining in all restaurants

•Wet clothing will not be permitted in the restaurants

•Wet towels will not be permitted in the restaurants"

Hope this helps.

OD

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,362 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress Code in Maldives?

I think when you say 'slippers' you mean slip on shoes?

slip-ons or flip flops are fine.

Slippers in the UK are bedroom/house shoes.

The Maldives is not like some destinations were you have to wear closed in foot wear in the evenings.

Regards T23

Edited: 31 August 2010, 12:43
Surrey
Level Contributor
370 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress Code in Maldives?

Hi - i have found variations -

In Coco Palm Bidu hithu - men were expected to wear trousers to dinner, and in Athuruga some women were barely

covered by a see through sarong at lunchtime!

Mal

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress Code in Maldives?

Why does the Sheraton demand that shoes must be worn in the restaurant? What is the point of of resorts demanding long trousers/shoes when all it does is make you sweaty and uncomfortable?

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress Code in Maldives?

Mal,

We went to Coco Palm Bodu Hithi last year and I have to admit it is the only island we have been to that had a strict dress code. Trousers were needed at the over water restaurant only. I was lucky to have travelled in a pair of trousers as I had only packed shorts. Vest tops were not allowed in any restaurant, not that mattered to me but they were turning people away from the breakfast buffet for this reason.

Regards Simon

Greece
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress Code in Maldives?

Thank you all for your response but is there anyone that has been at this hotel (Sheraton Full Moon Malvides) before so he can tell me what can i wear in the restaurants in the evening?and yes when i mean slipers i mean flip-flops.

Edited: 01 September 2010, 12:29
Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
717 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress Code in Maldives?

One of my most favourite things is seeing what people think of as appropriate clothing for wearing on holiday....anywhere for that matter.

On Komandoo I was pleasantly surprised to see people looking on the whole cool yet smart...there really is no reason why people should attempt to look like Robinson Crusoe for a fortnight, we all have showers!!!!

There was everything from the h**ker look.........5 inch high stillettos and a mini dress just covering the crotch had the restaurant staff and most of the guests in stitches.....watching her walk across the sand covered restaurant was pure comedy.

Then theres the.....'Im here to dive and I dont give a s*d about anyone else and I AM going to wear the same Oakey Top for a fortnight' crew who are always on a pay as you go basis and go straight to bed after dinner.

Theres the 'we just got married" lot still with the false nails and the smart clothes, drinking as many cocktails as possible and then complaining they have put half a stone on already in the first 3 days so nothing fits anymore anyway.

Theres the 'I want everyone to know Ive been here before' crowd who wear the 2 Times, 3 Times in Komandoo T-Shirts every day.

Really I would take one loose pair of light cotton trousers and you cant go wrong. I took off my shoes on day one and did not put them back on until i was back in Male on the return trip.

Have a wonderful trip both of you and good luck for the future

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress Code in Maldives?

Hi

Personally, I like to wear light weight long trousers in the evening - only because I don't have the legs for shorts - tailored or otherwise - and I just think long trousers are a bit smarter. But I've seen loads of people wearing tailored shorts or cut-offs and they are fine.

OD

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress Code in Maldives?

Escandar7 - OfficerDibble already answered your question (see reply #2). He posted the Sheraton Full Moon's dress code in his answer.