We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flippers????

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Flippers????

Do I take the trouble to pack flippers (bearing in mind their weight and bulk). I have masks and snorkels but are pondering on the flippers. We are going Chaaya Island Dhonveli and it has its own lagoon therefore may not need to snorkel too far (none of us are divers). Any thoughts/guidance would be much appreciated.

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
717 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flippers????

Flippers to my mind are an essential in the Maldives, i would rather take things out of my suitcase to get them in. A good pair that fits will save hours of pain.

Last time i went to an island there was a farly strong current one way and without flippers we would have struggled, its great to swim with the current though

Enjoy

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,186 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flippers????

you absolutely need fins - for convenience and more importantly for safety.

there is no real snorkeling from the beach at dhonveli - so you will have to go on snorkel trips and you will wear yourself out without fins.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flippers????

Hi

I always snorkel with fins. They provide me with that extra bit of security if the current gets strong and also seem to help with buoyancy. normally, I have the floating characteristics of a brick.

I bring mask and snorkel with me but hire the fins on the islands.

OD

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flippers????

Have to agree with everyone else - fins are essential. Rather than take them, we always hire them - it doesn't cost that much in the grand scheme of things, and as you say, saves space and weight in the cases.

SL

UK
Level Contributor
245 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flippers????

I agree with everyone else, would not even consider snorkelling without them. I to have the "brick" issue in the water. TBH I would lose items from my suitcase rather than leave them behind.

Sue

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flippers????

I agree with everyone else - they are essential - and if you are worried about the weight then do what I have just done and get a pair of lightweight travel fins. Mine were only £20 from simplysnorkel. ordered them one day and they came the next. Really good and lightweight.

Wid

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flippers????

Folks,

I was not expecting such a quick response and indeed so many. Many thanks everyone. It is unanimous fins are essential (or flippers as I call them - it's an age thing)

Regards

Lee

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flippers????

Lee

Don't worry. I used to call them flippers on this forum until I got told off by another poster. l still call them flippers at home. lol!

OD

Kent UK
Level Contributor
117 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flippers????

Lee

I must correct something there is wonderful snorkelling from the beach at Dhonveli. Fins make life easier but you can see masses of fish from simply standing on the beach and there is wonderful deep water within yards. Have a great time.

L

Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flippers????

Hi

Off to the Maldives for 1st time in May. Have never been snorkelling and am looking to buy mask, snorkel, fins etc.

I'm as blind as bat without my specs and have noticed you can get prescription masks for around £50.00.

Anyone got any comments on these?

Thanks.