We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Maldives in Sept, Oct, Nov or December?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Maldives in Sept, Oct, Nov or December?

We are thinking of traveling from NYC to the Maldives in 2012. Any suggestions as to best time to go? We are pretty limited to Sept - Dec only. I'm afraid of Sept and Oct being monsoon/tropical storm season. Would November or December be better? Also, probably leaning towards staying at the Six Senses Soneva Gili. We will want to combine with one other property for a total of two week holiday. Any suggestions on par with Soneva Gili? (one of the other Six Senses properties, perhaps, or one of The Four Seasons?)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Maldives in Sept, Oct, Nov or December?

Weather gets progressively better after sept, so yes dec would be the best, however prices also get progressively higher in direct correlation....

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Maldives in Sept, Oct, Nov or December?

Hi

Froggy is correct regarding weather improving as you move through the months. However, December is on the transition from the wet monsoon to the dry. At this time the weather can get very unsettled, with wind and rain. The best months to go would be February and March but these are outside your window.

OD

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Maldives in Sept, Oct, Nov or December?

I just returned from a Maldives trip on a live aboard dive boat from Sept 24-Oct 6. Weather was perfect. We hovered around North and South Ari Atolls, and Male Atoll. One day of short lived sprinkles, few days of partial overcast skies, one night of rain with thunder, but otherwise no rain. This is my first visit here, but based on my experience, I would not hesitate to go again at this time.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
42 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Maldives in Sept, Oct, Nov or December?

We have stayed late Oct and it has been quite wet, however we have just come back going out on 2nd Oct and it was wall to wall sunshine and very very hot.

have been several times and this time was the hottest yet.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Maldives in Sept, Oct, Nov or December?

We have just returned. To be honest we wouldnt risk the end of October again. We lost a few days to rain- not just sporadic showers but full days of rain. However having said that we were aware it was the rainy season and so we took our chances as like you we were limited to certain months. To date though the Maldives are the most beautiful place I have ever visited. We had a fantastic holiday.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Maldives in Sept, Oct, Nov or December?

PS People on the forum did tell me that one October could be very different to another and I think thats worth bearing in mind.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Maldives in Sept, Oct, Nov or December?

This October has been really really wet down in the south, even the locals don't understand what's going on. September was quite dry in comparison.

I wouldn't like to even guess at today's weather, never mind a whole month though, it changes so quickly, even on a island by island basis. It can be really lovely and hot and clear skies over one island, you look across the lagoon, and there's torrential rain over another island.

Hong Kong
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in Maldives in Sept, Oct, Nov or December?

How about med of april?? is the weather wet??

uk
Level Contributor
11 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in Maldives in Sept, Oct, Nov or December?

We have been to the Maldives in every month and I seem to think most of the time it's down to luck! Been at the cheapest time( monsoon season) with no rain whatsoever and December high season and it rained 4 days out of seven!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,468 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in Maldives in Sept, Oct, Nov or December?

agree with brannagan,

we just got back after a 9 day holiday at the Maldives... and it rained 5 days out of 9...

last year we went to Filitheyo in the exact days, last week of October, and the weather was perfect the whole time we were there.

its all about luck :)