We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which one Faru or chayya

Which North Male Atoll hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
somerset
Level Contributor
393 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
which one Faru or chayya

Cant make up my mind do I go cheep and chearful or pay a bit more for Chayya. Which one has the nicest beaches and best for snorkeling?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which one Faru or chayya

Which Chaaya - there are three of them?

Faru has no house reef and is close to Male so you may have some interrupted views and overhead airplane noise (or you may not!).

Have you looked at Fihalhohi? It is the sister island of Faru but has a house reef.

cumbria
Level Contributor
392 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which one Faru or chayya

I have been to Faru and it is a lovely island with great food and a great atmophere but....

They do not have a reef, but they do offer two snorkelling trips a day to other reefs.

You can see the industrial island, which didn't bother us at all and there is a lot more boat traffic about in this area as it is only ten minutes from Male.

The aeroplanes fly over head often - this didn;t bother us either but if you are looking for the "real" maldives desert island then Faru may not be for you.

I would go back to Faru as we had a great holiday there, but for us now, snorkelling has taken priority!

cumbria
Level Contributor
392 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which one Faru or chayya

Beat me to it Jody!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which one Faru or chayya

Agree, you may get Fiha' for roughly the same , lovely reef, but I think fullboard not AI like faru, also faru has a pool, Fiha does not, important for some people,

We had really good time on both

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which one Faru or chayya

faru as well as all 3 chaayas are cheap and cheerful . none meets your criteria.

chaaya island dhonveli has no reef and is pretty much a cheap surfer's destination - but beware .. the surfing is franchised out and you have to book with a certain tour operator to be allowed to surf.

chaaya lagoon hakuraa huraa has no reef either ...odd little island with buildings that appear stuck in a time warp.

chaaya reef ellaidhoo has a good reef but very little beach at all . most of the island is surrounded by a wall.

faru - as described above.

again - like the others mentioned .. you can do much better , even at the lowest end of the budget. check fihalhohi, biyadhoo, dhiggiri , maayafushi

somerset
Level Contributor
393 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which one Faru or chayya

Hi thanks for the repiles. It was Chaaya dhonveli island I had thought about. So would you say fihalhohi would suit us best?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which one Faru or chayya

in the end, only you can decided which island suits you best. you gave us only two criteria - good beach and snorkeling. good snorkeling means that the resort has to have a housereef . otherwise, you are stuck with snorkeling by excursion ... with a bunch of people splashing about and on someone else's time and only as long as someone else decides.

the two resorts you have chosen do not offer that ... and i personally would not recommend dhonveli on a number of levels.

check into the suggestions given and i am sure something will strike your fancy. my personal favs in that group are dhiggiri for incredible island beauty (think bounty commercial - only better) .. and maayafushi for the fantastic reef. both require a seaplane transfer though ... which will raise the price a bit but also provides an awesome experience.

fihalhohi is a nice compromise with a quite decent reef and good beach.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which one Faru or chayya

Brodick - if you want to look at Maayafushi or Dhiggiri you need to look at Expedia and/or Agoda, unfortunately neither of those two islands are available on a package deal from the UK.

Fihalhohi is available through Thomson/First Choice.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which one Faru or chayya

cheap and cheerful = Biyadhoo, Great snorkelling and at least one good beach so i'm told

10. Re: which one Faru or chayya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:39