We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Komandoo closure do we accept Kuredu offer

Banchory Scotland
Level Contributor
39 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Komandoo closure do we accept Kuredu offer

After booking Komandoo in JBV (only booked at end of January, a return visit) we have been notified that they are now going to close for refurb over the period we booked (June 2012). They Emailed me to tell me they are delighted offer us a water villa on there wonderful sister Island of Kuredu. Like we should be greatful. Not only that, but we persuaded my sister and her husband to part with their hard earned cash and join us for their first Maldvian holiday. They have been offered a JBV instead of a BV. I feel cheated as the two Islands don't compare. Kuredu is a budget Island where Komandoo is defiantly not.

We booked Komandoo for the snorkelling, it's tranquility, natural beauty and good food, in that order.

Looking at booking alternative islands I see the prices have shot up due to it being so late and availability going down. All our flights are booked and paid for so cannot be changed.

Do we take what's being offered or cancel and rebook something else.

We are considering Filitheyo, Angaga and Vilamendhoo . We went to Vilamendhoo last year, loved the snorkelling but were disappointed with the beaches.

We will have to pay around £1800-2000 for JBV HB. What do you recommend we do.

I did write back saying I was not satisfied with their offer and asked for Vilamendhoo as they own that Island too plus some extra compensation. I haven't herd back yet, It's now two days.

Everyone's heard of free upgrades from Kuredu to Komandoo but this is the first time I've herd of the reverse.

What do you think?

Edited: 03 March 2012, 00:33
Secret Paradise
Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours
Dune Maldives Diving Center
Shark Diving, Scuba & Snorkeling
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Komandoo closure do we accept Kuredu offer

This was discussed briefly before when the forum was first informed of the closure and the offer for kuredu going out, common opinion was that kuredu did not compare with komandhoo and no one would be happy with the offer.

I am not sure what you mean you will have to pay 1800 to 2000 hb ..is this for Vila only,. You ask about 3 resorts though? The question is now what else is on the table and is the price difference for each and any given one worth it to you and your family specifically.

Kuredu is a big more mass Market type island and different from the ones you put forward, so depends also on what you are looking for particularly.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Komandoo closure do we accept Kuredu offer

Hi Veronica T

Sorry to hear your holiday plans have been sent into turmoil. The refurb at Komandoo was the subject of a thread a week ago here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293953-i7445-k518…

I have not been to either Komandoo or Kuredu. Komandoo has been on our 'to do list', Kuredu does not appeal - too big and lively/poor snorkelling. I think a move to Kuredu from Komandoo will be a total change from the holiday you origianlly booked. If this is all that is on offer I would be taking a refund and rebooking elsewhere. I have been to Angaga and would certainly recommend it if you can get it in budget - small island, the reef is certainly good, food can get a little repetitive (large choice but similar choice every day - they now offer Half Board plus which sounds good - breakfast and dinner with drinks/no lunch). How about Athuruga if you are going in June? - small island, good reef, good food and one of the best AIs.

If you have booked separate flights you could try Purely Maldives (Richard posted the previous thread about Komandoo) I believe they book rooms independant of flights - might be worth a phonecall if only to check what availability there is.

Hope you get something sorted.

H

Edited: 03 March 2012, 01:10
suffolk
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Komandoo closure do we accept Kuredu offer

Alternatively, ask for Veligandu, also in the same CCR group. Snorkelling not as good as Vila but a much better quality island.

John

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Komandoo closure do we accept Kuredu offer

Sorry to hear about this Veronica T....

No offence to anyone who's been to, and enjoyed Kuredu...but there's no way on earth I'd accept what thay're offering on so many levels I don't know where to start

They MUST have known when they took your booking that this was going ahead, and it seems to me they've deliberately delayed making it public in a cynical attempt to leave people less options.

As you said yourself, the islands do not compare in any way, save the fact they are owned by the same company. To offer nothing more than a room upgrade is an insult. A room upgrade and half my money back, then I MIGHT start to think about it.

We've been to Komandoo, and Angaga....if you have an option for Angaga I'd take it. The rooms aren't as good as Komandoo, but there's nothing wrong with them. The beaches are far nicer, the island overall is much prettier and the reef much better. Angaga is a small island ( a bit smaller than Komandoo) so is closer in size to your original choice than Kuredu which is 5 times the size. Agree with Heather about the food though...plenty of choice at each sitting but doesn't rotate much.

John's suggestion of Veligandu is a good one, but as he says snorkelling is a let down compared to Komandoo....rooms and food are better though.

Like Heather, I'd think it was worth seeing if Athuruga or Thudufushi were available for a similar price to Komandoo...

Good luck and hope you get an alternative sorted out.

Ian

Edited: 03 March 2012, 07:58
London
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Komandoo closure do we accept Kuredu offer

I agree 100% with SJ. Kuredu is a completely opposite style of island to Komandoo. I do think that the resort company wants to see you happy. They also want to minimise their hit by keeping you in one of their properties (which is understandable). I think Veligandu will be much more like the experience you were hoping for with Komandoo and hopefully fine for CCR too. I believe that they also own/manage Mirihi which is another Forum Fav which you could try for.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Komandoo closure do we accept Kuredu offer

Hello Veronica

There is plenty of availability on other islands - the prices do not rise due to low availability or a late booking etc.

If the price of a room is $200 then that will remain the price until the last one is sold. If you book late then you may miss out on Special Offers such as Free Nights - but March is certainly not too late for a June arrival.

Many islands have issued new Special Offers yesterday due to low booking levels.

You are perfectly within your rights to leave the Kuredu booking in place while you search around for an island which suits you better.

Good luck

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,731 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Komandoo closure do we accept Kuredu offer

i agree with everyone above... not in a million years would i accept kuredu ... why not just send you to the alps instead ? Richard is the knowledgeable person to talk to a far as finding you a true alternative.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Komandoo closure do we accept Kuredu offer

Hi

We've been to Komandoo and really liked it, also were happy at Ihuru. Researched lots of islands and Angaga is not of the same standard (more of a 3 star). I would ask for a transfer to Mirihi which is very much comparable - we are returning there this summer.

9. Re: Komandoo closure do we accept Kuredu offer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 March 2012, 18:37
Edited: 03 March 2012, 18:37
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Komandoo closure do we accept Kuredu offer

I’ve been to both, unlike a few who comment. ;-]

I would return to both but do agree that you must have picked Komandoo for a reason. Kuredu is completely different and so I would be very apprehensive that you would find Kuredu the opposite from Komandoo and be disappointed and regret it..

Not sure I would pick Komandoo for the snorkelling either to be honest but it is a great improvement on Kuredu

Edited: 03 March 2012, 18:39