We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

Hello All,

We are finally planning for a holiday of a lifetime after 6 years of wedlock and before we start a family :-)

Having looked around and read through all the reviews on here, I feel the Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo is a great place for us and wanted to ask you if this is the best choice (our budget is not more than £2500 all inclusive)

Second, we are going for a week on June 24th - while I know it's not the preferred time, does it really rain a lot in June?

Finally, I have checked deals with Thomson and First Choice, prices are pretty much the same. I have always planned my own trips but this time, the best offer is going with either of these holidays operators. Are they both equally good or is one better than the other?

Thank you in advance for helping us plan our wonderful holiday!

Ken

London, United...
Level Contributor
496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

First choice and Thomson are the same company, I would avoid either to be honest, due to past experiences with flight delays, etc. In 13 trips I've gone 9 times with Hayes & Jarvis and not had any problems with them, although Travelbag seem to have good prices at the moment, worth a look. Whatever, your first Maldives trip will be mind-blowing! Our first trip was a once-in-a-lifetime trip too...

Mentioned in this post
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,938 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

ellaidhoo is a bit of a mixed bag... pretty good reef .. bad beach . lots of wavebreaker walls to look at .. watervillas have no stairs to the water.

what are your criteria or expectations ?

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

travelbag have Reethi Beach at £2684 for 7 nts All Inc for 2 people inc transfer .

much better option than Ellaidhoo

Andy

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

Other points to mention....

None of us can tell you how much or how little it will rain on your dates unfortunately. June is slap bang in the middle of the 'rainy' season and you could get a week of rain or a week of blazing sun, chances are, it will be somewhere in the middle of those extremes but it will still be hot and the water will still be warm!

I will let the other posters debate the pros and cons of ellaidhoo but I will mention that you need to check the transfers, it's quite likely that the price you have been quoted or got online is only for speedboat transfers, Ellaidhoo is North Ari Atoll and quite a distance from the airport, especially if the seas are a bit rough. I would opt for a seaplane transfer every time but you need to check how much it would cost.

Mentioned in this post
North Ari Atoll
North Ari Atoll
Alifu Atoll
Boston UK
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

We planned our holiday of a lifetime about 11 years ago now, and went to the Maldives. We go back for the 8th time this Month, and so the best advice I can give is start saving now! Blissful holidays, coupled with financial ruin, beckon. :-)

Mentioned in this post
On the Reef
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

Bonters - are you going back to Reethi?

Boston UK
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

Cornish - we most certainly are! I thought I'd told everybody by now, so I feel a little inadequate that I hadn't yet made you envious! :-)

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

Thank you all for the quick replies. The most important things to us are

1. Clear blue water to enjoy snorkelling

2. A proper beach where we get decent tides and waves - we want to see if we give surfing a go but only if available

3. Clean sands and a place that is worth the money we pay. We like our food and drink so variety will be nice though not keeping too high an expectation for our budget

4. We dont need to be in a very tiny island with no people around at all. We dont mind a few people and tourists so we have some company.

I will check resorts mentioned and also other tour operators. My biggest worry now is if it's best to push the trip to Oct/Nov? I dont want to spend all that money not sure of it raining for 3 days of our 7 day trip and waters being muddy/brown with the blue all but gone for the week!!

Ken

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

Do muddy brown waters ever happen in the Maldives?

... and also ... bet this turns out to be like our 'trip of a lifetime' in 2004, which urned out to be the first of 4 so far with another in the offing next year. There will be (with luck and a fair wind) lots more after that as well.

Mentioned in this post
Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

Ellaidhoo will fulfill 1,3 and 4. You won' t get much in the way of 'decent' tides and waves because of the wave breakers surrounding the island. Have you looked at airiel pictures of the island? We went there at the end of October/ beginning of November and had one week of not brilliant weather and one week excellent , you can't guarantee anything any time.

We absolutely loved it there, but maybe for a first trip you might be just a bit disappointed because it does not really look like the vision we all tend to have in our heads of the Maldives. But we met various honeymooners and Maldives first timers who were very happy. The wonderful staff do make up hugely for the geographical shortcomings.

Edited: 05 March 2012, 09:11
Mentioned in this post